This is an exciting new opportunity for a dynamic leader in commercialising novel life science tech, to drive the next phase of rapid growth of Oxford Nanopore products into the research markets.
With an abundance of new and existing potential markets now opening up for our products, Oxford Nanopore is now restructuring its commercial function to enable rapid growth. We are seeking a dynamic and ambitious specialist in life sciences commercialisation to lead the marketing team.
Headquartered in the UK, you will be responsible for leading and developing a global team to maximise the impact of a genuinely disruptive product range for biological analyses.
Oxford Nanopore aims to enable the analysis of any living thing, by any person, in any environment. Our technology has many novel capabilities that meant it is capable of delivering a change in market dynamics for biological analysis that is analogous to the mobile revolution in computing.
Oxford Nanopore makes the only real-time, portable DNA sequencer – the MinION. It is being used for myriad research applications including pathogen analysis and surveillance, environmental analysis, metagenomics, HLA and across many other genome research applications.
The high-sample number, high-throughput PromethION is currently being released into ‘early access’ and the mobile phone compatible SmidgION is in development. At the core of these devices is fully scalable nanopore sensing technology that can be scaled to any size device to reach all parts of the potential market for biological analysis.
Since its early access introduction in 2014 and transition to a commercial product in 2015, the performance of the MinION has evolved substantially. Customer uptake since recent releases has accelerated. An exciting pipeline of improvements and new releases lies ahead. Having already opened up novel applications for nucleic acid analysis, the technology is also starting to penetrate traditional sequencing environments. Growth is expected to rapid, expanding to myriad new customers and markets.
In addition, the VolTRAX automated library preparation device will soon be released into early access and has far-reaching potential markets.
Nanopore sensing also has the potential to provide biological analysis in a range of applied markets including food safety, environmental monitoring, healthcare, education, agriculture or consumer/self-quantification.
Report to Head of Commercial - key responsibilities will include:
- Working with the senior management team to design and deliver a market entry and optimisation strategy that makes the most of this exciting technology.
- This will include a deep analysis and understanding of the needs of a range of target customer communities
- Develop and lead the execution of efficient customer acquisition programs, deploying a range of resources including digital campaign management
- Develop and co-ordinate fulfilment of customer optimisation strategies, for maximum organic growth
- With a number of new product introductions approaching, it will be important to maximise visibility and deliver appropriate positioning of these products
- This role will work very closely with a number of teams including: the Communications team for consistency of content and corporate visibility; the Sales team for appropriate targeting and content support; the Product Management team to ensure that the benefits of the technology are fully exploited and that the needs and feedback of customer communities is reflected in products.
The need to understand disruption
Disruptive technologies can change market paradigms.
We are looking for someone with a proven track record who is ambitious and forward thinking to fulfil this goal. You will know how to balance of the creation of new markets with accessing existing users and markets. You will understand the short and long term opportunities for a real time, fully scalable DNA/RNA sequencing technology and deliver a plan to maximise its impact.
You will not be afraid to approach the market in non-traditional ways.
In addition to your excellent communication and motivation skills you will be robust and resilient in your ability to influence and persuade others of your vision and strategic plans. Be an inspiration to your team, a great ambassador to the outside world but also able to influence internally to reach the right results.
Whilst relevant qualifications are valued and well-regarded your experience and track record will be decisive in your progress. This opportunity is the perfect next step for an experienced, ambitious professional who can combine a drive for market growth and success with the talent of creating innovative ways to maximise the potential of our technology.
Please note that no terminology in this advert is intended to discriminate on the grounds of a person's gender, marital status, race, religion, colour, age, disability or sexual orientation.
Every candidate will be assessed only in accordance with their merits, qualifications and abilities to perform the duties of the job.