Job Title: Group Leader (NGS – Clinical)Reports to: Associate DirectorFLSA Class: Exempt Introduction to Job Post:The Group Leader role is responsible for managing the detailed research activities of a team of scientists and research associates. The Group leader works closely with Product Management to identify and implement opportunities to expand the product line managed. The Group Leader will work within the RNA-Seq group, focusing on cDNA library preparation kit development from clinically relevant samples. The role requires an understanding of requirements for clinical assays (such as LDTs) and the environment in which they are used, a broad technical understanding of library preparation, first-hand knowledge of the clinical assay market, experience with clinical samples, and a proven record of the team leading required to generate new products for the clinical market. The Group Leader role is office-based. Approximately 5% travel, including overnight and international travel, may be required. Essential Functions:
- Plans, coordinates, and monitors timely execution and completion of various research projects by managing the detailed activities of a scientific team of research associates and scientists.
- Ensures work conducted by group is of high quality, exhibiting good experimental design, data summary and interpretation.
- Actively mentors and trains group members in good experimental design and analysis.
- Works closely and independently, through regular communication, with Product Managers to understand market trends and competition relevant to the product line managed.
- Generates new ideas and proposes plans for development of a product line as a whole; and proactively works to obtain Product Managers’ support.
- Demonstrates ownership for the success and growth of product line; working with Product Managers, Operations, and other departments to ensure smooth development, launch and support of products within stated deadlines.
- Guides junior scientists through the product development process, including design of specifications, transfer to manufacturing and drafting of related documentation.
- Ensures that the group members maintain complete and accurate records in the relevant product development databases.
- Develops and maintains an external network of key research collaborators and scientific advisors in the academic/industrial community in which they are recognized as a key influencer.
- Serves as an expert resource to R&D, Product Management and other departments supporting their success in reaching goals of the whole organization.
- Supports Sales and Technical Support representatives on technical matters.
- Represents R&D at scientific meetings in front of customers and/or collaborators, including presenting seminars on TBUSA products in area of expertise.
- This position has supervisory responsibilities.
Education/Certification, Experience, and Competencies:
- Preference for candidates with a Ph.D. in a relevant scientific discipline (Cell Biology, Molecular Biology, Biochemistry, etc.) followed by 10+ years of a mix of academic and industrial experience.
- Have technical expertise in assay development from clinical samples and an understanding of the market for these products, this may include targeted amplification, target enrichment, immunology, or targeted depletion (required).
- Experience managing the work of Research Associates with demonstrated potential to manage the work of PhD level scientists (required).
- Highly effective analytical, problem solving and judgment skills, with demonstrated ability to mentor these skills in others (required).
- Consistent success in developing commercially viable products, with preference given for products produced for clinical tissues and/or applications.
- Strong understanding of the product development process from initial proof of concept through transfer to manufacturing (required).
- Detailed and broad knowledge of molecular biology and sequencing library preparation is required, as well as an understanding of biological samples utilized for clinical and translational research, such as FFPE, serum, or biopsied tissues.
- Successful track record of initiating and maintaining external collaborations (required).
- Good knowledge of the biomedical research industry and U.S. intellectual property laws.
- Collaborative personality with excellent interpersonal skills (required).
- Excellent oral and written communication skills (required).
AAP/EEO Statement:Takara Bio USA, Inc. does not discriminate in employment on the basis of race, color, religion, sex (including pregnancy and gender identity), national origin, political affiliation, sexual orientation, marital status, disability, genetic information, age, membership in an employee organization, retaliation, parental status, military service, or other non-merit factor. Disclaimer:Please note this job description is not designed to cover or contain a comprehensive listing of activities, duties or responsibilities that are required of the employee for this job. Duties, responsibilities and activities may change at any time with or without notice.