The Broad Institute of MIT and Harvard is the world’s leading biomedical research institute dedicated to the bold mission of using the full power of genomics to transform the understanding and treatment of disease. The Broad Institute seeks to describe all of the molecular components of life and their connections; discover the molecular basis of major human diseases; develop effective new approaches to diagnostics and therapeutics; and disseminate discoveries, tools, methods, and data openly to the entire scientific community.
Founded in 2004 by Eric Lander and philanthropists Eli and Edythe L. Broad, the Broad Institute includes faculty, professional staff, and students from throughout the MIT and Harvard biomedical research communities and beyond, with collaborations spanning more than a hundred private and public institutions in more than 40 countries worldwide.
Committed to meeting the most critical challenges in biology and medicine, the Broad Institute stands on the leading edge of biomedical research, with a mission to broadly disseminate discoveries and information to the scientific community. Broad scientist pursue a wide variety of projects that cut across scientific disciplines and institutions. This position will join a multi-investigator program aimed at: integrating information from human disease genetics with novel approaches in functional genomics and chemical biology to make progress towards therapies for immune mediated diseases and translating the microbiome in clinical medicine.
The Group Leader, Research Scientist will work with Drs. Ramnik Xavier, Curtis Huttenhower and Microbiome leadership to execute scientific strategic direction on projects aimed at characterizing the human microbiome and analysis of its role in human health and disease. Serves as key Broad resource in scientific, technical, and analytical matters and ensures the implementation and completion of goals pertaining to human microbiome research. Serves as a primary contact between external investigators and internal staff, communicating and coordinating with the research community on the progress of projects and collaborative analysis. Prepares and reviews manuscripts for publication as well as reporting needed by funding agencies supporting the institute’s work on the human microbiome project.
PRINCIPAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES (*Essential Functions)
- Executes scientific strategic direction by setting research goals based on established objectives and ensuring their timely completion.
- Executes complex research projects integral to the mission of The Broad
- Develops research goals and methods, applies novel concepts and designs and identifies new scientific opportunities and research directions for further exploration
- Works towards continuous technology development; collaborates with internal and external technology development teams
- Oversees data generation and data analysis across various internal and external collaborators that is central to research
- Regularly interacts with internal and external contacts, including Broad scientists, engineers and postdocs, and external clinicians and industry leaders
- Participates in proposal preparation, writes grants and progress reports, and responsible for strategic planning for lab
- Manages scientific staff and trainees; responsibilities include: hiring, mentoring, career development, writing performance reviews, and recommending salary increases
- Ensures budgets, schedules and performance requirements are met; develops project budgets as required
- Exercises judgment within generally defined practices in selecting methods for obtaining solutions
- Administers and recommends changes to policies and procedures which affect the group
- PhD in Molecular Biology, Computational Biology, or related fields, with advanced research skills and at least 5 years of related experience. Combination of molecular biology - and computational expertise preferred.
- Experience leading and coordinating community-based collaborative projects
- Excellent record of contributions, publications, presentations and leadership responsibilities within large collaborative research networks; primary or key author on major reports, presentations and papers
- Must have the ability to interact with and influence both internal and external interdisciplinary scientists, engineers, and clinicians
- Must be able to handle a variety of tasks, to effectively solve problems with numerous and complex variables, and to shift priorities rapidly
- Must have excellent staff oversight and mentoring skills
- Demonstrated success in working on complex, novel problems
- Creativity, curiosity, and the desire, persistence and ability to create scientific advances
If interested, please apply online at http://track.tmpservice.com/ApplyClick.aspx?id=2192650-2647-4121