The Grant Writer/Staff Scientist will prepare grant applications and other scientific communication materials on a wide range of genomic research topics. This role is deeply immersed in the science of NYGC and supports our research team in building and expanding a successful, independently-funded research base. They collaborate with diverse teams of students, postdoctoral fellows and principal investigators, and relates scientific and strategic goals to individual grant opportunities and other research communications vehicles. Typical grants include individual investigator, multi-PI and research center grants. This position will be remote through June 2021.
- Takes a lead role in preparation and project management of single project and multi-investigator proposals.
- Provides advice on grantsmanship, editorial support and standardized language for administrative sections;
- Manages the scientific writing process, including proposal management, team-building and coordination; establishing timelines and deliverables; and,
- Provides draft preparation, review and revision of grants and scientific writing.
- Coordinates with and supports Sponsored Research staff to ensure timely, accurate application submission.
- Edits manuscripts, fellowship applications, research progress reports, clinical research protocols and other research communications materials written by faculty and postdoctoral fellows.
- Interacts with lab members to independently develop new grant proposals.
- Organizes small group meetings with lab members to review project progress, plan experiments, and integrate team data.
- Assists in the design and planning of functional genomics and genetic perturbation experiments.
- Assists in analysis and figure preparation of diverse types of data, including high-throughput sequencing, microscopy images, gel images, and schematic diagrams.