Cures Start Here.
At Fred Hutchinson Cancer Research Center, home to three Nobel laureates, interdisciplinary teams of world-renowned scientists seek new and innovative ways to prevent, diagnose and treat cancer, HIV/AIDS and other life-threatening diseases. Fred Hutch's pioneering work in bone marrow transplantation led to the development of immunotherapy, which harnesses the power of the immune system to treat cancer. An independent, nonprofit research institute based in Seattle, Fred Hutch houses the nation's first and largest cancer prevention research program, as well as the clinical coordinating center of the Women's Health Initiative and the international headquarters of the HIV Vaccine Trials Network.
Careers Start Here.
Global Oncology, a program of the Vaccines and Infectious Diseases Division at Fred Hutchinson Cancer Research Center, has a mission to reduce the global burden of cancers, especially in low and middle-income countries, through the advancement of research and the development of new low-cost prevention and treatment strategies. A cornerstone of the program is a decade-long alliance with the Uganda Cancer Institute (UCI) that advances research, capacity building, and cancer care.
This position will support data management for studies. The Data Manager will clean data for assigned studies and prepare final study datasets for analysis under the direction of the Biostatistician. This position is temporary; the Graduate Research Assistant will be expected to work at a minimum of 10 hours/week up to 20 hours/week for one academic quarter, with the potential for extension and renewal for subsequent academic quarters.
- Review assigned study protocol and statistical analysis plan to understand data sources, aims and analytic plan
- Creation of Data Dictionary for clinical and laboratory data of assigned studies
- Review of Data Management Plan (DMP) for assigned studies to provide input and suggestions for data QA and QC activities carry out described QA activities during data cleaning, in addition to other edit and logic checks
- Merging of study data from various databases for cleaning, including data from external service laboratories and clinical study data
- Programming edit checks, cleaning of data for assigned study
- Creation of reports of data queries to be shared with the Data Operations Manager, Biostatistician, investigator and study team members
- Resolution of queries based on feedback from the investigator and others
- Creation of final study data sets for analysis in SAS or Stata, as directed by the Biostatistician, and archival of data sets and cleaning code/program on secure web-based server.
- PhD or Masters student in Biostatistics or Epidemiology
- Ability to write well-documented code in a statistical software package (i.e. SAS or Stata) to clean and manage clinical and laboratory data collected in longitudinal and cross-sectional research studies
- Ability to import and merge datasets, create new variables and restructure datasets to the desired formats per the investigator or biostatistician's instructions
- Experience with creating reports that list data queries and issues for investigators, data staff and study teams for investigation and query resolution
- Minimum of two years related experience in data management
- Experience managing data collected longitudinally, preferably health research
- High-level of attention to detail, organizational skills and commitment to accuracy
- Knowledge of Good Clinical Data Management Practices
- Experience managing laboratory data
- Strong written and oral communication skills
- Knowledge of medical terminology and disease processes, and familiarity with HIV/AIDS and/or oncology clinical information and research
- Open to receiving direction and feedback from colleagues and collaborators, and to making constructive changes, as a result
- Ability to ask for assistance, when needed
- Sense of humor
To apply for this position, please CLICK HERE