Elmwood Park NJ
Bio-Reference Laboratories is the lab of choice for many in the Northeast. Serving the greater New York Metropolitan Area, and Now a Significant Presence on the West Coast in Campbell California as well as Florida and Maryland. The Company offers routine clinical tests, including Pap smears, pregnancy tests, cholesterol checks, and blood cell counts. Through its GenPath business unit, it also performs more sophisticated "esoteric" testing in areas such as cancer pathology and molecular diagnostics. It gets most of its orders (about 3.5 million per year) from doctors' offices, collecting specimens at about 50 patient centers scattered throughout its service area in New York and New Jersey.
A full-time position is available for a genetic counselor with cancer genetics experience to join our team. Genetic counselors are trained specialists who determine risk factors for hereditary diseases and disorders in patients.
Responsibilities of the Genetic Counselor will include:
- Provide customer service to clinicians and genetic counselors on the hereditary cancer tests
- Facilitate communication of test results to health care providers
- Write customized reports on a vast array of genetic test results
- Utilize in-house software tools to generate reports for clinical sequencing tests
- Perform critical quality control functions for clinical reports
- Maintain reporting templates and mutation database, working to improve their clarity and consistency
- Be involved in the validation of any new assigned panels, updates to current panel versions, or changes in software or equipment
- Assist in the development of education and marketing materials
- Help develop test report language and DNA variant classification based on emerging scientific information