The Clinical Laboratory Scientist I works under minimal supervision and is responsible for complex laboratory procedures and handles all types of specimen submitted into the department in processing task assigned.
Essential Responsibilities: - Perform simple to complex assays by following the established departmental protocols. - Read and understand all SOPs related to the department and adhere to all rules and protocols. - Read and record critical assay dependent measurements. - Perform analysis accurately on a daily basis for the discipline assigned to CLS per the department. - Data entry and Reporting via the laboratory's LIS system. - Prepare clinical specimens for testing and identify specimen related problems. - Identify any problems that may adversely affect test performance or reporting of test results and either, correct the problems or immediately notify the general supervisor or director. - Take a main role in performing QC for reagents and chemicals and by using the SOPs. - Review and approve Quality control and Quality Assurance results. - Assist the supervisor in ensuring an efficient workflow operation and reports any delays and problems that can cause significant delay on the workflow process to supervisors, or technical director. - Monitor TAT and workflow. - Assist in preparation of validation documentation of new tests and procedures as required by the company. - Cleaning and maintenance of the lab equipment. - Maintain laboratory in a clean, functional state, as well as cleaning or performing scheduled equipment and instrument maintenance and calibration as required. - Adhere to department rules and protocols as well as company regulations stated in the Employee handbook. - Accurately enters results of testing. Checks computer review reports to monitor accurate reporting results. - Adheres to Department Specific Safety Guidelines. - Determines calculated results utilizing testing data by means of manual or computerized procedures. - Direct supervision of non-licensed personnel - Accurately perform and record proficiency testing - Other duties as assigned by Medical Laboratory Director or VP of Operations.
Qualifications/Requirements: 1. Bachelor's Degree in Physical of Life Sciences (Biological Science background)
2. Current State license as a Clinical Laboratory Scientist (CLS). (if State required)
3. Proven knowledge of departmental required techniques i.e. FISH, FLOW, PCR, Cyto as applicable
4. Must pass a color vision test if required for role
5. Must have a solid understanding of general laboratory techniques and medical terminology with emphasis for the department specific techniques.
6. Ability to handle biological samples and potentially hazardous chemicals.
7. Ability to operate equipment with sufficient proficiency to successfully execute test procedures.
8. Standing, sitting, walking, bending, reaching, manual manipulation, and lifting up to 15 pounds.
9. Computer skills and laboratory automation knowledge.
10. Ability to communicate effectively and follow written and verbal instructions.
10. ASCP certification is required
Additional Eligibility Qualifications: GE will only employ those who are legally authorized to work in the United States for this opening. Any offer of employment is conditioned upon the successful completion of a background investigation and drug screen.
Desired Characteristics: N/A