All About Us
Illumina is improving human health by unlocking the power of the genome. Our focus on innovation has established us as the global leader in DNA sequencing and array-based technologies, serving customers in the research, clinical and applied markets. Our products are used for applications in the life sciences, oncology, reproductive health, agriculture and other emerging segments.
lllumina has experienced phenomenal growth from $10 million in revenues in 2002 to approximately $2.2 billion in 2015. Forbes named Illumina #1 on the 2009 list of 25 Fastest-Growing Technology Companies in the United States, the second time over a three year period that Forbes ranked Illumina #1 on its list of rapidly growing technology companies. Illumina was also named #1 smartest company in the world as part of MIT’s 2014 Technology Review. As of February 2016, the company had a $21 billion market capitalization.
The Enterprise Informatics Field Application Specialist (FAS) will draw on their in-depth technical knowledge of Illumina software solutions and scientific workflows to provide hands-on subject matter expertise to support the pre and post-sales effort. Playing a critical role in advancing deals through the sales process, the FAS develops strong relationships with customers to conduct world class software demonstrations and contributing to the statement of work within a sales proposal. The FAS will then ensure a seamless hand-off from pre to post sales through effective knowledge transfer. The FAS will deliver end-user applications training and will call upon implemented customers to offer value added services and explore up-sell opportunities.
The successful candidate will have excellent customer facing skills, combined with deep scientific domain particularly in Next Generation Sequencing, a strong technical background, software demonstration skills, and knowledge of the Life Sciences industry. Applicants must be self-confident, and self-managing. This position suits someone who is committed to ongoing learning and will do what it takes to stay ahead of the curve in an ever-changing market space. Applicants must thrive in a high pressure, competitive and dynamic environment with an overwhelming drive to succeed. The ability to build effective relationships from a distance as a remote employee will be a critical success factor. This will require pro-active, ongoing communication.
All About You
Tasks and Responsibilities:
- Achieve expert level knowledge and understanding of GenoLogics’ software capabilities and market applications
- Represent scientific laboratory workflow and operational best practices internally and externally
- Develop and deliver world class software demonstrations, drawing on additional in-house resources as required
- Contribute to the development of sales quotations, proposals, and project plans
- Ensure a seamless hand-off for successful implementation management following customer commitment
- Deliver end-user applications training, which includes the production of supporting materials
- Work with internal stakeholders to answer/resolve any technical questions/issues faced by prospective customers
- Represent Illumina Enterprise Informatics at trade shows and other industry events
- Provide customer feedback to inform future product and services direction
The ideal candidate will have:
- Minimum 3 years experience in a similar field based technical support and/or applications engineering position
- Master’s Degree or higher in Bioinformatics, Biology, Computer Science, or related discipline
- Strong written and verbal communication skills, ability to present complex technical information to various audiences to promote learning and knowledge transfer
- Knowledge of genomic and proteomic workflows and present day applications for next generation sequencing and mass spectrometry analysis
- Experience with life science LIMS highly desirable
- Capable of developing and delivering world class software demonstrations
- Strong commitment to personal excellence, self-motivated, self-sufficient and resourceful
- Ability to balance multiple priorities in a dynamic work environment involving multiple stakeholders
- A team player with a “can do” attitude and strong customer service orientation
- Working knowledge of Linux/UNIX and Windows environments and administration
- Previous exposure to JAVA, SQL, application server and database applications (Oracle, Postgres)
- This position requires travel primarily within the US (60%)
Illumina believes that everyone has the ability to make an impact, and we are proud to be an equal opportunity employer committed to providing employment opportunity regardless of sex, race, creed, color, gender, religion, marital status, domestic partner status, age, national origin or ancestry, physical or mental disability, medical condition, sexual orientation, pregnancy, military or veteran status, citizenship status, and genetic information