To contribute significantly to the excellence of the NERC Biomolecular Analysis Facility – Birmingham (NBAF-B), the UK’s national research centre for Environmental Metabolomics. In particular to conduct NMR spectroscopy based metabolomics analysis and metabolite identification; to liaise with collaborating environmental scientists; to contribute to the Birmingham Metabolomics Training Centre; and to undertake independent research in NMR metabolomics.
- Conduct NMR based metabolomics experiments within NBAF-B, from experimental design, sample preparation, data collection using Bruker 600 MHz NMR spectrometers, through to processing of the NMR data (40%).
- Conduct metabolite identification within NBAF-B primarily using solid phase extraction, liquid chromatography and multi-dimensional NMR spectroscopy using 600 and 800 MHz NMR spectrometers, including de novo structural identification of metabolites (30%).
- Undertake some independent research in NMR metabolite analysis and/or metabolite identification that will help to widen the portfolio of metabolite analyses offered by NBAF-B or by Phenome Centre Birmingham (20%).
- Provide training in NMR metabolomics specifically through the Birmingham Metabolomics Training Centre.
- Assist visiting scientists with the analysis and interpretation of NMR metabolomics datasets.
- Advise the NMR technical staff within the Phenome Centre Birmingham.
- Disseminate research findings through contribution to peer-reviewed publications.
- Present research findings at conferences in the form of talks/posters.
Contribute to the day-to-day operation of NBAF-B, including project design and troubleshooting, the prioritisation of data collection and analyses.