All About Us
Do you want to make a difference? Illumina’s mission is to improve human health by unlocking the power of the genome. If that inspires you, let’s talk. We’ve built a culture fueled by innovation, collaboration and openness, and established ourselves as the global leader in DNA sequencing and array-based technologies. Our people and our technology change lives by driving advancements in life sciences, oncology, reproductive health, agriculture and other emerging markets. We are deeply passionate about what we do, because we know that our work has the power to improve lives.
We’re an established company with a track record of phenomenal growth. Our revenue grew from $10 million in 2002 to approximately $2.2 billion in 2015. Our growth isn’t just revenue, we’ve been hiring the best and the brightest. Perhaps that’s why MIT has ranked Illumina near the top of its World’s Smartest Companies list three years running, including #1 in 2014. If you thrive in a brilliant, fast-paced, and mission-driven environment, Illumina is the place for you – imagine the possibilities.
Equipment Engineer 2 at Illumina will provide primary instrument support for a wide array of products that Illumina produces. This position will also consider Equipment Engineer 1 candidates.
Tasks and responsibilities:
* Learn and understand new instruments and create a maintenance programs to provide continually improving equipment availability
* Work with engineers to develop and implement procedures to reduce or eliminate sources of systematic equipment failures
* Install new equipment or assist in the construction of new instruments
* Work with vendors to improve support for manufacturing instruments
* Data-mining large datasets to uncover sources of systematic error
* Understand basic internal instrument communication (RS232, PLC, IO)
* Create innovative solutions to technical problems
* Safely handle dangerous chemicals
* Perform basic computer repair functions
* Work with lasers and laser alignment
* Advanced electronics trouble-shooting including reading of schematics
* Ability to learn and understand component level failures in large instruments
* Experience working in a manufacturing environment maintaining production equipment
* Computer trouble-shooting and repair (preferred experience with Microsoft Windows)
* Ability to communicate and document equipment issues
* Ability to learn new tasks quickly
* Demonstrated continuous improved performance of instruments and ability to communicate these improvements to process and R&D engineers
* Optimistic when faced with setbacks
Preferred educational background:
* 4 year bachelor’s degree in engineering plus 2-5 experience in equipment maintenance in large scale manufacturing or 2 year associates degree in technical subject matter with 7-10 years’ experience as an equipment technician or field service engineer.
* New graduates with a background in engineering are encouraged to apply. Demonstrated experience with hands on design and troubleshooting needs to be clearly demonstrated for these candidates.
Preferred experiential background:
* Experience with Semiconductor equipment and Fab best practices
* Excellent familiarity with standard laboratory practices.
* High level of familiarity with lasers, laser-optics, electro-optics, electronics or related technical field required.
* Experience with PLC
* Experience sourcing instrument components from non-OEM suppliers
* Knowledge and skills typically acquired through previous positions in fast-paced corporate environments which involved responsibility for similar work.
Additional job information:
* This position is Monday-Friday and may be changed to include at least one weekend day.
* Travel up to 10%.
Illumina believes that everyone has the ability to make an impact, and we are proud to be an equal opportunity employer committed to providing employment opportunity regardless of sex, race, creed, color, gender, religion, marital status, domestic partner status, age, national origin or ancestry, physical or mental disability, medical condition, sexual orientation, pregnancy, military or veteran status, citizenship status, and genetic information.