As a life sciences company, Sequenom (NASDAQ: SQNM) has a guiding vision: To improve healthcare by providing revolutionary genomic and genetic analysis solutions for the clinical research and molecular diagnostic markets.
What makes this vision a reality? Our deep commitment to "Quality of Science." For us, only the highest quality is acceptable. Sequenom team members thrive in a "science first" environment where ideas and innovation are part of daily life. This is your opportunity to work on cutting-edge science that is revolutionizing patient care.
Our innovation-driven culture means life at Sequenom is fast-paced, dynamic, and fun with rewarding benefits and performance rewards. With a clear vision for the future, all employees have the opportunity to make a difference and are encouraged to share new ideas. We foster a collaborative work environment and encourage curiosity at all levels. Our corporate headquarters is located in the heart of San Diego’s life sciences community, less than a mile from the beach.
The Environmental Health & Safety Manager will lead the effort to eliminate, prevent, or reduce the occurrence of safety, health, medical and environmental issues. This position will also facilitate the development and maintenance of behaviors, attitudes and a safety culture that supports the goals of the Sequenom’s EH&S programs. The Ideal candidate will provide guidance and technical expertise on compliance requirements with all applicable federal, state, and local safety, health and environmental regulations. This position acts as the interface with government agencies that deal with health, safety and environmental issues. This includes, but is not limited to, the Environmental Protection Agency, the Occupational Safety and Health Administration, the California Occupational Safety and Health Administration, the California Department of Environmental Protection, and local authorities.
• Develop policies and procedures in environmental, health and safety matters to ensure that the Company meets it Legal, Statutory and Corporate governance obligations.
• Implement policies and procedures in order to develop a high level of EH&S awareness on Sequenom’s sites and low risk working environment.
• Responsible for ensuring that the company, employees, contractors, and visitors etc. comply with EH&S polices and best practices.
• Provide input based on analysis and trends of current EH&S environment in order to assist in the development of continuous improvement initiatives of company EH&S programs.
• Develop training programs for the use of safety equipment, chemical hazards, noise hazards, physical hazards and safe operating practices, and assist line management with implementation.
• Manage the accident elimination program by tracking and reporting accident rates and developing management’s accident investigation techniques.
• Perform Risk Assessments with all departments to determine the potential hazards of new processes and projects (capital projects and others) and ensure that all applicable Federal, State, and Local regulations, along with industry standards, (ANSI, NFPA, ACGIH) are followed.
• Manage MSDS Program for materials used, received and/or processed at the facility.
• Manage chemical, noise, and radiation exposure monitoring programs.
• Review and approve all safety equipment and procedures.
• Coordinate management of Workers’ Compensation program with Human Resources.
• Develop and implement emergency evacuation plans and procedures.
• Participate in management health, safety and environmental audits.
• Manage Sequenom’s hazardous waste disposal program, including all manifesting, disposal site selection, hazardous waste training, and internal tracking.
• Responsible for the storing and/or shipping hazardous waste; may include the signing of manifests. Mange the monitoring of air and water discharges.
• Examine all new processes and projects for environmental impact.
• Apply, track, and implement all environmental permits.
• Develop and implement emergency environmental response procedures.
• Act as Emergency Coordinator during an emergency situation at the facility.