Ensembl is one of the most internationally successful large-scale bioinformatics projects, and one of the leading projects for genome annotation. We are seeking a talented and motivated Project Leader to lead the variation data resources.
Large-scale sequencing projects are producing genome sequences in thousands more species, as well as deep sequencing in human to discover rare variants. These data have the potential to drive a better understanding of population genetics, evolution and genetic disease associations. Ensembl Variation processes massive amounts of data from various genomic archives and develops high quality annotation and analysis tools for variant interpretation, for example the Ensembl Variant Effect Predictor (VEP). The Ensembl Variation team is responsible for building variation databases for each Ensembl release, including development and maintenance of the variation MySQL databases and Perl APIs. This involves creating novel workflows and databases for integration of large heterogeneous datasets from all publicly available variation, phenotype and disease data; data exchange standards; novel visual displays and computational methods for accessing data. Future challenges will require exploring the use of new technologies and methods to scale to manage increasing volumes of data in greater numbers of species.
In this role your main responsibility will be to lead Ensembl Variation’s production and development projects. Typical tasks of the role will comprise:
- Setting the direction and priorities for Ensembl Variation;
- Meeting regularly with Ensembl Variation and the Variation Annotation Team Leader;
- Managing development and production projects to completion;
- Contributing to data produced for the Ensembl release cycles;
- Providing scientific and technical guidance to Ensembl Variation;
- Working with the Ensembl web developers and users to develop effective data displays;
- Participating in the hiring and training staff;
- Participating in the leadership of the Ensembl project;
- Collaborating with international projects on and off campus;
- Communicating the work to researchers in the field, including user support and training;
- Preparing reports and presentations to represent Ensembl at internal and external meetings.