The Vertebrate Annotation team at the European Bioinformatics Institute (EMBL-EBI) seeks a talented and motivated Developer to join Ensembl and contribute to gene annotation methods and data production. Ensembl (http://www.ensembl.org/) is one of the most successful large-scale bioinformatics projects. We process massive amounts of data from various genomic archives and create new tools and resources for genome analysis. Within the overall project, Ensembl Genebuild is specialised in gene annotation, specifically identifying the location, structure and tissue-specific expression of genes and their transcripts.
The primary role of this position is to participate in Ensembl Genebuild’s production and development projects. The developer will:
· Implement novel methods of processing biological data for gene annotation
· Produce high-quality, evidence-based gene sets for vertebrate species
· Maintain and improve existing gene annotation methods
· Keep up-to-date with the field of gene annotation
· Collaborate with international projects on and off campus
· Communicate the team’s work internally and to researchers in the field, including user support and training
The successful candidate will work closely with other members of Ensembl on data production and pipeline development around the Ensembl release cycles. Future projects for the team include: scaling up gene annotation pipelines, improving our annotation of noncoding genes, automating and enhancing Ensembl’s RNA-seq annotation pipeline, and developing methods of analysing new data including full-length transcriptomic reads.