The Ensembl project seeks a talented and motivated Project Leader to manage the development of its Core Software at the European Bioinformatics Institute (EMBL-EBI) which is located on the Wellcome Trust Genome Campus near Cambridge in the UK.
The primary role of the position is managing the development and maintenance of the Ensembl Core database schema and the Ensembl Core Perl API which serve as the basis for the Ensembl website and annotation pipelines and is also widely used by external users.
The post-holder will have the following responsibilities:
- Management of several software developers
- Setting the direction and priorities of the Core API and databases.
- Representing the team at internal and external meetings
- Training staff and responding to functionality requests and bug reports.
- Be involved in the hiring of new staff member
- Participate in the overall leadership of the Ensembl project.
Additional core project leader tasks will include:
- Playing a key part in the Ensembl release cycle.
- Working with other components of Ensembl, including Ensembl Genomes, as well as with external users to make our software as usable and efficient as possible.
- Collaborating with international projects on and off campus.
- User support and training.
The EBI is part of the European Molecular Biology Laboratory(EMBL) and is Europe's leading provider of information services to biological researchers in academia and industry.