EHS Technician – Hazardous Materials Technician - Lab Support Technician
Pacific Bisociences is looking for an EHS technician to support its growing research and manufacturing operations. The technician would join a dedicated team of professionals and report to the Senior Manager of EHS & Security.
This position will be responsible for assisting with day to day EHS responsibilities related to hazardous materials, waste management, regulatory compliance and client support for both lab and manufacturing environments. The individual in this role will have the opportunity to learn and develop experience related to the Semiconductor and Diagnostics industry.
1. Support and maintain the accuracy of the R&D chemical inventory program
a. Barcode and input new chemicals into the system.
b. Zero out consumed and discarded chemicals
c. Perform periodic re-inventory to ensure data integrity
d. Work with EHS manager on database redesigns and user improvements
e. Review chemical orders and provide approvals
2. Manage the high volume chemical stocking program
a. Perform periodic visual inventory
b. Work with end users and procurement to establish minimum stock and re-order levels
c. Submit restock orders to procurement as needed
3. Deliver hazardous chemicals to central storage areas, laboratory end users and manufacturing operations using carts and other material handling equipment
a. Pickup chemicals in receiving area and deliver to end users in laboratories
b. Load/unload chemical drums onto production chemical feed systems.
c. Properly store and segregate chemicals in central storage areas
4. Coordinate the chemical waste program.
a. Work with third party waste vendor to properly profile wastes and schedule shipments
b. Assist the EHS manager with the development of waste training materials
c. Help train chemical users on proper waste management methods
d. Develop and maintain stocks of chemical waste labels
e. Serve as main point of contact for third party on-site chemical waste service vendor to ensure timely pickup of wastes from laboratories
f. Ensure proper safety devices, signage and all relevant safety related documentation is in place and updated
g. Order waste supplies as needed: drums, carboys, safety cans, containment trays, labpack buckets
5. Coordinate activities of lab support vendors including but not limited to: laboratory coats, emergency washing equipment, spill kits, first-aid stocking
6. Perform regular Safety and Environmental inspections to support EPA, OSHA and local fire code requirements
7. Participate on and help coordinate activities/training of the site emergency response team
8. Work with laboratory users to facilitate maintenance and EHS service requests and resolve EHS issues
9. Assist the EHS manager with implementation of other environmental programs including SPCC, air emissions, stormwater, wastewater, recycling, composting, solid waste
10. Assist EHS manager with periodic environmental and chemical program regulatory filings such as: Biennial waste report, Hazardous material business plan, Board of Equalization fees, EPA ID and manifest fees
11. Act as third backup for company reception (main lobby) when receptionist is out sick or on vacation.
12. Support the site ergonomic program by participating in ergonomic assessments and maintaining ergonomic stock supplies.
13. Observes all departmental and Quality System procedures and work instructions.
14. Assist EHS manager with EHS program documentation: as knowledge and expertise grow, the individuals may take on program owner responsibility for a variety of EHS programs such as laser safety, hazard communication, chemical hygiene, respiratory protection
15. Other EHS tasks as assigned
1. Customer focus
2. Organizational and prioritization skills
3. Ability to construct and carry out plans within given timetables
4. Initiative and willingness to lend a hand and help where needed
6. Calm under pressure/emergency situations
7. Comfortable interacting with diverse range of personnel
8. Strong attention to detail, detail-oriented
9. Ability to interact in a positive and team-oriented manner with a variety of co-workers and clients, maintaining a positive attitude and professional demeanor at all times