Integrated DNA Technologies
Job Locations US-IA-Coralville
Category Manufacturing Operations
# of Openings 1
Posted Date 7/3/2017
Shift/Schedule SuMThF 7:00A-6:00P (United States of America)
The dsDNA Production Scientist I processes ssDNA into dsDNA according to order specifications in preparation for final shipment to customers or for further use in downstream synthetic biology production processes. This includes the use of PCR, PCR Clean-up, and QC sampling of the dsDNA for sequence analysis, size verification, mass spectrometry and quantification. This occasionally includes final product formulations to custom specifications.
- Uses a variety of lab equipment to process products, including heavy use of thermal cyclers and automated liquid handling workstations
- Uses computers and a variety of custom software in a windows based environment
- Adheres to all departmental protocols, rules, contamination controls, and safety procedures and complies with ISO 9001 and ISO 14001 requirements
- Quantifies and samples products for quality control tests
- Recognizes process or equipment problems and seeks appropriate assistance
- Maintains accurate and detailed product and instrument records
- Assesses QC data to appropriately route and process products to meet outlined specifications
- Performs routine maintenance and cleaning of equipment and work spaces as needed
- Maintains daily ship deadlines and continues the pipeline for products that require further processing
- Follows documented custom instructions when applicable
- Contributes to and supports an efficient manufacturing environment
- Communicates with all levels of peers and management to ensure detailed information transfer
- Performs a variety of PCR protocols and subsequent post PCR cleanup steps
- Executes multiple processes simultaneously (multi-tasks) to ensure efficiency in product handling
- Uses aseptic techniques to minimize the risks of contamination to products
- Organizes and appropriately prioritizes workload to ensure efficiency in product manufacture
- Demonstrates behavior consistent with the Integrated DNA Technologies Core Values
- Performs other duties as assigned
- Associate's degree in science related field plus 2 years of applicable lab experience required
- Bachelor's degree in a science related field preferred
- Experience with sterile techniques required
- PCR experience required
- Proficiency in a variety of PC software programs with strong working knowledge of Microsoft Office required
- Experience with gel electrophoresis technology preferred
- Experience with sequencing data preferred
- Manual dexterity and technical proficiency with pipetting and sample handling required
Other Job Qualifications
- Ability to manage time well and work independently or in a team setting
- Ability to prioritize and organize workload to efficiently accomplish departmental goals
- Ability to use information on hand to make an appropriate decision and seek advice from appropriate resources when necessary
- Ability to receive feedback and coaching from others
- Flexibility, able to adapt well to changes in process and/or procedure
- Ability to adapt to changing priorities, work environments, communication styles, and leadership styles
- Strong attention to detail
- Ability to work in a team environment, remaining attentive to ideas, recognizing responsibilities, and actively participating with others to accomplish assignments and achieve desired goals
- Responsible and committed to a customer service mentality to ensure high quality products are provided to internal and external customers
- Ability to adapt to incorporation of new products and processes continuously required
- Ability to perform under stress when confronted with emergent, critical, unusual, or dangerous situations, or situation in which working speed and sustained attention are make-or-break aspects of the job.
- Ability to perform a variety of duties, often changing from one task to another without loss of efficiency or composure.
- Ability to maintain both a high standard of courtesy and cooperation in dealing with co-workers.
- Ability to accept responsibility for the direction, control or planning of an activity.
- Adaptability to situations requiring the precise attainment of set limits, tolerances or standards.
- Ability to perform repetitive work or to perform continuously the same work, according to set procedures sequence or pace.
Exert 20-50 lbs. of force occasionally and/or 10-15 lbs. of force frequently
Integrated DNA Technologies is an equal employment and affirmative action employer. Minorities, women, veterans and individuals with disabilities are encouraged to apply.