Division Safety Coordinator - 91782
Organization: BS-BioSciences Area Office
Berkeley Lab's Biosciences Area Office has an exciting opening for a Division Safety Coordinator (DSC) to become an integral team member of our safety team.
In this DSC role you will support the mission of Lawrence Berkeley National Lab (LBNL), by monitoring the organization's health and safety standards in accordance with OSHA, DOE, and Cal State programs in order to ensure protection of employees, the public, Laboratory assets, and the environment.
In collaboration with other BSBK safety team members, you will develop, implement, and evaluate programs and procedures to assure personnel safety. You will maintain record keeping systems to track and evaluate workplace hazards and controls, conduct safety audits, incident investigations, and site inspections of workplace hazards.
What You Will Do:
• Provide general oversight and support of Environment, Health and Safety (EH&S) functions to research groups within BSBK divisions
• Support lead safety coordinator in the execution of line management safety responsibilities, safety self-assessment, corrective actions, investigation of incidents and promote a safety culture in the BSBK divisions
• Provide guidance and support to researchers in areas such as waste handling, chemical management, interpretation of environment, safety and health regulations, evaluation of process change and other ES&H issues
• Participate in the Biosciences Ergo Advocate program supporting research groups in the Berkeley Operations Center.
What is Required:
• B.S. and up to 3 years of experience or M.S. and up to 1 year of experience, or an equivalent combination of education and experience.
• Possess knowledge of basic theories, concepts, practices, and procedures in a specialized field of Environment, Health, and Safety. Apply the knowledge to simple work assignments to meet specific objectives
• Familiarity with working in a research environment
• Proven planning, prioritization, and organizational skills
• Experience with computer systems, Microsoft Office software, databases, and Google applications
• This is a full time career appointment, exempt (monthly paid) from overtime pay.
• This position may be subject to a background check. Any convictions will be evaluated to determine if they directly relate to the responsibilities and requirements of the position.
• Having a conviction history will not automatically disqualify an applicant from being considered for employment.
• Work will be primarily performed at:Lawrence Berkeley National Lab, 1 Cyclotron Road, Berkeley, CA.
Learn About Us:
Enabled by Berkeley Lab's world-class user facilities and complementary research programs, our scientists and engineers contribute groundbreaking discoveries and innovative solutions to complex scientific and societal challenges.
Vision: Berkeley Lab's Biosciences Area will lead the nation in using biology to solve energy and environmental challenges.
Mission: Use integrated research teams to solve national challenges in energy, environment, health and biomanufacturing.
Berkeley Lab (LBNL) addresses the world's most urgent scientific challenges by advancing sustainable energy, protecting human health, creating new materials, and revealing the origin and fate of the universe. Founded in 1931, Berkeley Lab's scientific expertise has been recognized with 13 Nobel prizes. The University of California manages Berkeley Lab for the U.S. Department of Energy's Office of Science.
Working at Berkeley Lab has many rewards including a competitive compensation program, excellent health and welfare programs, a retirement program that is second to none, and outstanding development opportunities. To view information about the many rewards that are offered at Berkeley Lab- Click Here.
Equal Employment Opportunity: Berkeley Lab is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, age, or protected veteran status. Berkeley Lab is in compliance with the Pay Transparency Nondiscrimination Provision under 41 CFR 60-1.4. Click here to view the poster and supplement: "Equal Employment Opportunity is the Law."
Lawrence Berkeley National Laboratory encourages applications from women, minorities, veterans, and other underrepresented groups presently considering scientific research careers.