The Director of Software Engineering is responsible for the overall architecture, design and deployment of software applications within the department. This is “hands-on” software development lead role. The Director of Software Engineering will lead a team of highly capable software engineers to deliver complex software projects on-schedule and within budget. This position will be responsible for leading the transition of application development from Windows apps (WinForms / WPF / WCF) to Web apps (MVC 5 / Restful API).
- Mentor and lead software engineering team.
- Provide leadership, take initiative and continuously improve code base and software quality.
- Coordinate and manage projects within and across teams.
- Review best practices, design patterns, standards and work with other developers to implement continuous improvements.
- Collaborate with multiple stakeholders, vendors and internal teams to improve and establish organization wide initiatives.
- Review documentation developed by other developers.
- Work with other teams (Bioinformatics, Web Development, IT Infrastructure etc.) to architect secure, stable and scalable systems.
- Responsible for database backups and administration. Responsible for database security.
- Mentor and assist developers with standards and best practices as they migrate to new technologies.Advocate for SQL Server best practices/design practices and work with other developers to implement.
- Lead peer review of code before it goes to PROD and manage and perform PROD releases.
- Perform peer review of database design.
- Proactively research and evaluate new technologies and make recommendations to senior staff.