The Jackson Laboratory for Genomic Medicine in Farmington, CT is seeking an Associate Director / Director of Genome Technologies for multi-campus operations of the JAX Genome Technologies core. Responsibilities include operational oversight of Production Sequencing Operations (library prep and sequencing), Validation and Scale-up operations. The incumbent is responsible for management of customer, vendor and collaborator interactions as well as capacity management across campuses including outsource providers. The incumbent will provide consistent delivery of state-of-the-art, quality, and timely, cost effective sequencing services. In this role, the incumbent will be responsible for the management of operational and capital resources within budget targets. They will also be responsible for delivering effective staff development.
JAX Genome Technologies Operations – GT Production Sequencing
- Oversees personnel (PhD Level Manager and technical staff), infrastructure and processes of the integrated production sequencing operations in Bar Harbor and Farmington support all three JAX campuses library preparation and sequencing needs.
- Assures operations meet quality production metrics:
High-quality sample preparation
Platform down-time is minimal
Platform utilization is optimized
Turn-around-times are met
Data quality from all platforms meets specification
Achieves desired cost per/base targets
Positive customer experience
- Assures JAX (research faculty programs and collaborators) have access to the most innovative, cost effective and timely sequencing services which meet defined quality standards. Continuous evaluation of competitive service providers and engagement of outsourcing as needed.
JAX Genome Technologies Operations – GT Validation and Scale-up
- Oversees personnel (PhD Level Manager and technical staff), infrastructure and processes of the GT validation and scale-up group, which assures transition of relevant, current and emerging genomics platforms, technologies (sequencing and counting/detection) and applications into GT Production Sequencing.
Oversees installation and operational validation of new/incoming platforms
Validates protocols on newly acquired platforms
Scales protocols and established SOPs for production operations
Adapts research protocols for scaled delivery with SOPs in production operations
Optimizes chemistry and protocols for cost efficiency in production operations
Smoothly transitions platforms and processes to Production Operations
Aids in troubleshooting
Support NGS technology R&D as needed.
GT Operations – Overall
- Supports users in experimental design including guidance on sample processing, library preparation and sequencing methods.
- Responsible for oversight of JAX-GT LIMS operations and maintenance.
- Directly interfaces with JAX-IT and Computational Sciences to assure data integrity, transfer and analysis.
- Aligns GT operations with JAX needs
Assure the scientific competitiveness and differentiation of these services
Provides consultative services for experimental design and downstream interpretation.
Assures adequacy and currency of GT/MS information management (data QC, integrity,
transfer, storage) & analysis systems and integration with Computational Sciences & IT
- Assures high-fidelity operations
Subject matter expert for quality issues
- Support NGS technology R&D as needed
- Achieves operational financial targets
- Develops individual skills and cultivates leadership within GT/MS