It's an exciting time to be at UMass Medical School! U.S. News & World Report ranks UMass Medical School 12th in the country for primary care, and this opportunity gives the right candidate the chance to be part of an elite academic and research institution that is among the most affordable in the country. As a member of our Information Technology Department, you will join a dynamic team of dedicated individuals committed to delivering forward thinking solutions with a focus on continuous improvement. At UMass Medical School IT we recognize and reward independent thought and innovative ideas. We have fostered an environment where the team dynamic is embraced and collaboration and FUN are core components of our culture!
We are seeking a dynamic Director of Data Management who will be responsible for leading a team charged with developing a novel infrastructure for integration and visualization of clinical data. Responsibilities include supervising teams to ensure the delivery of quality data and business intelligence needs, participating in the development and support of software systems. The Director will be responsible to plan, design, review, program, and implement new capabilities. The Director will also be responsible for demonstrating forward-looking views of how best to design databases that perform optimally and ensure security for sensitive data. They will also act as a thought leader on how to better utilize SQL/NoSQL architectures (as appropriate) to improve our ability to develop solutions rapidly and manage costs for enabling research discoveries!
- Oversee/coordinate the overall architecture, design, development, and maintenance of data warehousing and data visualization capabilities.
- Lead the development of the data warehousing and visualization roadmap; ensuring ongoing alignment of team's activities with the overall biomedical informatics strategy.
- Develop, initiate and maintain policies and procedures related to the clinical data warehousing in the organization in accordance with University of Massachusetts Medical School Policies and HIPAA guidelines.
- Manage creation of necessary architecture deliverables including data models, data flow diagrams and reference architecture.
- Manage strategic vendor relationships including platform vendors, support and development partners.
- Oversee existing platforms and processes to deliver efficient and effective services to meet the expectations developed with stakeholders. Identify areas of improvement for processes, technology and resources and implements these improvements
- Manage a technical team involving both functional and matrix resources that delivers technology solutions for business users
- Evaluate currently utilized and industry standard technologies as well as develop and improve standards for the consistent use of database, application, reporting, and technology services throughout the institution
- Play a leadership role in consulting with business units across UMMS to define business opportunities and map potential technology solutions to enable UMMS strategic direction. Maintain strategic focus on developing new functionality s to serve UMMS community and business partners
- Collaborate with the IT management and business partners in implementing secure and reliable solutions, make recommendations regarding development technologies, data systems, reporting tools and business intelligence platforms for new and ongoing projects and initiatives
- Refine best practices, policies, and procedures for information management, compliance/security, backup recovery/disaster recovery, change/release management, and infrastructure monitoring/support of database and reporting systems
- Participate long-range planning and budgeting, and ensures the achievement of organizational and operational plans
- Leads or participates in RFP development, acquisitions, evaluations and contract negotiations. Plans and coordinates software acquisitions, conversions and implementations. Responsible for vendor relations
- Ensure that priorities are established and evaluated on an ongoing basis for systems modifications and requests from our user community. Maintain effective organization and staffing to meet demand
- In coordination with other departments, ensure thorough evaluation of equipment/hardware capabilities and recommend hardware and platform acquisitions. Evaluate and recommend hardware environment architectures to support ongoing customer needs
- Identify efficient tools for business and clinical application design and development. Incorporate technology tools where appropriate
- Direct reports. Responsible for personnel actions, staff development, and training within the Information Technology department
- Oversight of all aspects of enterprise reporting, web services, change/release management, and web analytics.
- Ensure the accuracy of work estimates, improving the overall quality of deliverables/systems, and ensuring data models, database code, and enterprise reporting components developed by staff conform with identified best practices (i.e.: scalability, security, usability, etc.).
- Effectively implement, promote and ensure compliance with professional and industry standards, UMASS policies and procedures, and IS quality standards for database administration, application development, business analysis requirement definition, technology development, software testing, reporting, project planning/management, and administration infrastructure and support capabilities
- Perform other duties as required
- BS in Computer Science, a related degree, or equivalent experience
- 10 years of experience of Database and Business intelligence expertise in the development, procurement, implementation, and support of a networked, multi-vendor environment
- 5 years of experience with clinical data warehousing for research use with progressive management/supervisory responsibility as well as a strong demonstration of management experience (managing multiple projects/technologies/deliverables and at least 12 staff members)
- Extensive knowledge of data management infrastructures in a scientific research environment
- Strong strategic and operational planning skills, including management of full lifecycle implementations for major application implementation in both functional and matrix environments
- Excellent ability to communicate ideas and both verbally and written
- Demonstrated ability to analyze a wide variety of data and derive actionable insights.
- Demonstrated ability to set priorities, align stakeholder expectations, and develop and execute an associated plan of action
- Ph.D. or M.D. is ideal