Center IT is looking for a Desktop Support Technician to join a team that delivers technical assistance in office and laboratory settings. The Desktop Support Technician role is an escalation point from the Help Desk when the Help Desk analyst is unable to provide a remote solution for the customer. The Desktop Support Technician is required to deliver hands-on, desk side support directly on the customer's hardware including computers, smartphones, tablets and printers.
Desktop Support Technicians are responsible for fielding requests for technical assistance, recording them in a ticketing system and resolving technical issues in accordance with Service Level Agreements and departmental expectations. Desktop Support Technicians are expected to maintain technical competence through self-study, employer-provided training, and attending meetings that provide updated information about the current computing environment at the Center. Desktop Support Technicians may be asked to participate in an on-call rotation to provide after-hours emergency desktop support. This position may also require occasional overtime, evening, weekend, and holiday hours.
The primary role of a Desktop Support Technician Level II is to provide support and maintenance within the organization's desktop computing environment. This includes, but is not limited to, installing, diagnosing, repairing, maintaining, and upgrading computer hardware and software to ensure optimal workstation performance. Level II technicians must also be able to work independently with minimal direction on assigned projects as well as serve as an advanced technical resource for Center projects.
The ideal candidate will possess the following qualifications:
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills
- Superb customer service and interpersonal skills
- Tact, discretion, and good judgment required for dealing with confidential information
- Critical thinking and problem solving
- Desire to learn new technologies
- Ability to work both independently and within a team environment
- Bachelor's or Associate's degree; high school diploma or GED acceptable with equivalent work experience required
- Proficiency in troubleshooting hardware and software
- Advanced knowledge of Windows XP, Windows 7, and Mac OSX operating systems and the capability to install, configure, and troubleshoot each operating system
- Ability to troubleshoot problems with local and network printers and print queues
- Experience with mobile device hardware and software (Blackberry, iOS, Android, Windows Phone, etc.)
- Working knowledge of Active Directory
- Operational understanding of Group Policy structure and basic object creation.
- Operational understanding of computer management using SCCM
- Ability to create and maintain basic batch file scripts
- Ability to communicate effectively to a broad audience utilizing a variety of methods
- Collaborate effectively with team members to identify and work toward solutions
- Working knowledge of KACE including report creation a plus
- Working knowledge of Linux a plus
- A+, Network+, MCDST, Dell, Apple, and other related certifications are plusses
Working Conditions & Physical Requirements:
- 8am-5pm, Monday-Friday
- Limited after-hours, weekend, and holiday work will be required
- Ability to lift and transport computers, monitors, and printers
We are a VEVRAA Federal Contractor
If interested, please apply online at http://track.tmpservice.com/ApplyClick.aspx?id=2171009-2647-1421