A Data Scientist Research Specialist position is available in the Diaz laboratory, at UCSF. The Data Scientist will be responsible for developing and implementing pipelines for warehousing, analyzing and visualizing large ensembles of biomedical data. The Data Scientist will help build, curate and study a repository of unprecedented size; comprised of single-cell sequencing data from human brain tumors, and human fetal brain tissue.
The specific duties of the Data Scientist will include:
- Design and implementation of pre-processing and warehousing pipelines for biomedical data
- Development of data visualization and analysis tools
- Participation in manuscript preparation
- Supervision of graduate students
- Other duties as assigned
The minimum qualifications for the Data Scientist are:
- PhD in Computer Science, Data Science, Math or Bioinformatics or other quantitative discipline; or a MA and 1 year of experience; or a BA and 3 years of experience.
The preferred qualifications for the Data Scientist are one or more of the following:
- Experience in modern distributed computing (e.g. Hadoop, Spark, Hive)
- Experience in distributed machine learning (e.g. SparkR, Mlib, GraphX)
- Experience in high-performance, statistical or scientific computing (e.g. C++,R, MATLAB)
- Experience in data warehousing (e.g. SQL, Hive, SparkSQL)
- Experience with commonly used ‘omics data types and tools.
Interested candidates should send an email to [email protected], with the following:
Cover letter, detailing programming experience, knowledge of mathematics and statistics, and bioinformatics or other data analysis experience. Please indicate your preferred start date.