Cures Start Here .
At Fred Hutchinson Cancer Research Center, home to three Nobel laureates, interdisciplinary teams of world-renowned scientists seek new and innovative ways to prevent, diagnose and treat cancer, HIV/AIDS and other life-threatening diseases. Fred Hutch's pioneering work in bone marrow transplantation led to the development of immunotherapy, which harnesses the power of the immune system to treat cancer with minimal side effects. An independent, nonprofit research institute based in Seattle, Fred Hutch houses the nation's first and largest cancer prevention research program, as well as the clinical coordinating center of the Women's Health Initiative and the international headquarters of the HIV Vaccine Trials Network.
Careers Start Here.
The Uganda Cancer Institute (UCI)/Hutchinson Center Cancer Alliance is a collaborative venture to establish a state-of-the-art cancer treatment facility located in Kampala, Uganda. The aim of this joint effort between the Global Oncology program at the Fred Hutch and the Uganda Cancer Institute, is the development of new low-cost prevention and treatment strategies for ameliorating the high burden of infection-related cancers. Clinicians and scientists work together to enhance patient access to care, diagnosis and research-based treatment. The UCI/Hutchinson Center Cancer Alliance seeks to develop effective prevention and treatment strategies for infection-associated cancers to benefit the millions of people in Uganda, the United States and worldwide who suffer from these malignancies.
The Data Operations Manager oversees and directs the collection, entry and management of data for all studies conducted in Uganda. This includes the development and implementation of data operations policies and procedures, the maintenance of data integrity, development and maintenance of database solutions, and management and training for the data team in Uganda. The Data Operations Manager has responsibility for the timely production of high-quality data from all studies conducted in Kampala.
Management of Data Unit:
- Hire data entry and management staff, conduct regular performance evaluations, handle disciplinary actions, terminations and layoff issues, as necessary. Direct management of HCRIU Data Managers.
- Train data entry and management staff in all areas of data collection, processing, storage and quality management.
- Organize and direct the staffing and workflow of the HCRIU data team in order to ensure that data entry and management is occurring in real-time during study conduct.
- Prioritize, assign and monitor data operations activities, ensuring that research needs and timelines are met.
- Develop and provide data management staffing and non-personnel costs for budgets for studies under development.
- Write, update and oversee the production and distribution of data operations SOPs and guidelines; ensure training on the data documents is conducted.
- Review and provide feedback on study Data Management Plans.
- Assist in the development of study protocols, as it relates to data operations, updating and revising the protocols, as necessary.
- Serve as a liaison with HCRIU and Fred Hutch scientists and staff and outside organizations, as needed, on data operations issues. Conduct regular meetings of Data team.
Oversight of Data Collection, Entry and Management:
- Create data cleaning tools and programs, and train and supervise on-site staff in the development and implementation of data cleaning procedures.
- Develop and implement data management, collection, processing, storage, and quality control/assurance procedures.
- Program and manage database QC issues, detecting and facilitating resolution of discrepancies, and working with on-site staff to minimize QCs. Coordinate and oversee the investigation and resolution of data discrepancies.
- Perform quality assurance audits of data operations activities, and coordinate quality assurance evaluations from outside organizations or funding sources.
- Align data management practices with international standards for conducting clinical research. Identify training opportunities to ensure these standards are met by data staff.
- Review all data requests from program investigators, track requests internally, assign data management responsibilities to team, and oversee or create exports and analytic files for analyses.
- Assist investigators with the creation of case report forms (CRFs), data management plans, coordination of database development and data staffing.
Database Development and IT:
- Coordinate and oversee the development and modification of data entry screens. Work with data and I.T. staff in testing databases and in resolving data entry problems.
- Forecast long-range data management and collection support requirements and develop plans, as needed, to meet requirements.
- Coordinate with IT colleagues in Kampala and Seattle to ensure software and hardware needs, data back-ups, and IT SOPs relating to data management and security.
- Bachelor's degree in related field.
- Five or more years of experience in data management, preferably in health research.
- Two or more years of supervisory and training experience.
- Strong proficiency with statistical software used for data cleaning and creation of datasets, such as SAS or Stata.
- High level of competency in Microsoft Access and Excel, including writing and executing queries, and managing complex databases.
- Experience and proficiency with DataFax, particularly setting up studies and managing study data.
- Strong interpersonal and cross-cultural skills.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills; experience developing data management documents.
- High level of attention to detail, organizational skills and commitment to accuracy.
- Flexibility with ever-shifting priorities, work schedule and the technological challenges faced by working in low-resource settings.
- Master's degree in a related field.
- More than two years' supervisory experience.
- Familiarity with REDCap (Research Electronic Data Capture).
- Familiarity with specimen and lab assay data; experience working with a Laboratory Information Management Systems (LIMS).
- Strong project management skills, particularly relating to new data management solution platforms.
- Certified Clinical Data Manager through SCDM.
- Global health experience, particularly oversight and management of health research data collected internationally.
- Sense of humor.
To apply for this position, please CLICK HERE