The Protein Data Bank in Europe team (PDBe; pdbe.org) is part of the Worldwide Protein Data Bank organisation (wwPDB; wwpdb.org), which maintains the global archive of structural data on biomacromolecules. The PDBe team also maintains a number of databases that support deposition and advanced search services for structural biologists and the wider scientific community. The team consists of an international and inter-disciplinary mix of professional scientists and software engineers. The PDBe team is part of the Molecular and Cellular Structure cluster within EMBL-EBI, part of the European Molecular Biology Laboratory (EMBL). EMBL-EBI is a world-leading bioinformatics centre providing biological data to the scientific community with expertise in data storage, analysis and representation. EMBL-EBI provides freely available data from life science experiments, performs basic research in computational biology and offers an extensive user training programme, supporting researchers in academic and industry.
We are looking to recruit a Data Enrichment and Integration Coordinator to help the PDBe team stay abreast of and meet the changing needs of the broad scientific community by developing pipelines for enrichment, integration, and quality improvement of biomacromolecular structure data and tools for its delivery.
The Coordinator will be expected:
- to manage the Data Enrichment and Integration sub-team that is responsible for data annotation, integration and enrichment projects;
- to maintain a close collaboration with the wwPDB partners;
- to represent the PDBe team in the global wwPDB deposition and annotation system (OneDep) leadership team;
- to manage the PDBe contributions to the development of the wwPDB common data-deposition, annotation and validation pipeline;
- to coordinate the PDB data-annotation project with the Biocuration manager in the sub-team;
- to coordinate the EMDB data-annotation project with the Biocuration manager in consultation with the leader of the team that manages EMDB;
- to work with the PDBe Team Leader to deliver new functionality by developing and managing data enrichment and integration projects that enhance and/or exploit biomacromolecular information;
- to interact with other EMBL-EBI teams to develop collaborative data integration and enrichment projects;
- to help the PDBe Training and Outreach lead organise workshops and training courses and develop training strategy in consultation with the PDBe Team Leader;
- to represent PDBe at relevant meetings and conferences to keep abreast of, and contribute to, new developments in the field;
- to work with the PDBe Team Leader and other team members to publish project outcomes in scientific articles in the peer-reviewed literature;
- to help the PDBe Team Leader in future planning and in developing collaborative projects;
- to contribute to PDBe grant applications, reporting, personnel recruitments, staff evaluations, and associated tasks.
As a Coordinator, the successful candidate will report directly to the PDBe Team Leader. This is an opportunity for the right person to make an impact on how the scientific community uses biomacromolecular structure data and enhanced information available through PDBe tools and services.