We are seeking a highly motivated Biocurator to join the Data Coordination and Archiving Team at the EMBL European Bioinformatics Institute (EMBL-EBI; http://www.ebi.ac.uk/), located on the Wellcome Genome Campus near Cambridge in the UK. The team provides data coordination and other bioinformatics support services for partners around the world for a portfolio of studies. Using the host of data resources available from EMBL-EBI, ELIXIR (https://www.elixir-europe.org/) and beyond, the successful candidate will contribute to the translation of this substantial infrastructure to marine and other environmental communities and contribute to the construction of rich public data sets in a fast-growing and important area of applied science.
The post holder will contribute to the following two projects:
Supporting access to bioinformatics infrastructure: The European Union’s EMBRIC project brings together Research Infrastructures in the area of marine biotechnology. With genomics, metabolomics and other molecular biology applications gaining relevance in this area, presenting and supporting the use of ELIXIR resources becomes increasingly important. In addition to providing direct support to users from a range of marine studies, the post holder will contribute to the development and operation of services around the configuration and presentation of ELIXIR resources and the coordination of genomics and other relevant data sets.
Scoping of integrative data standards across the environmental sciences: As partners in the European Union’s ENVRI+ project, we are committed to tracking and maximising interoperability between ELIXIR’s data resources and those of environmental science Research Infrastructures. Through the profiling of practices in environmental informatics, the post holder will work towards maximum possible harmonisation between bioinformatics and environmental data resources.
The responsibilities of the EMBRIC/ENVRI Biocurator will include:
- Operational support to collaborators engaged in above projects that may include curation, standards development, data management and project-specific training;
- Interactions with those providing technical services underpinning the operations;
- Maintaining an active interest in ELIXIR activities beyond the above projects to ensure optimal use of technologies, services and expertise;
- Attending and presenting at national and international meetings;
- Organisation and delivery of project-specific meetings.