Scientific Director of Cytogenetics will oversee the scientific and technical performance of the department including quality assurance, quality control and advise on accreditation issues. The Director will be able to perform clinical interpretations of cases in Karyotyping, FISH and array CGH. Provide consultation to the medical community and TriCore clients.
- Develop and implement jointly with management relevant scientific policies, including routine review and approval of procedures.
- Oversee new test development and modification of tests.
- Provide leadership for adoption of new technology in the Laboratory including array cytogenetics.
- Lead educational activities for medical students, fellows, residents, technical staff, and medical community clients.
- Attend National Meetings to benefit the clinical, educational and research missions of the Cytogenetics Section.
- Serve as Principal Investigator and/or submit publications/posters in a combination of at least two annually.
- Be on-site at least two weeks per month.
Quality Assurance and Compliance
- Provide leadership in assuring compliance with all applicable regulations (including but not limited to safety, CAP and CLIA).
- Lead the quality assurance program of the laboratory or clinical service.
- Provide leadership in assuring that the laboratory or clinical service has a sufficient number of personnel with appropriate experience and education for their positions.
- On a monthly basis, reviews all Quality Indicator Reports, Proficiency Tests and Quality Control records and ensures implementation of appropriate actions as necessary for corrective and preventative action.
- Reviews all culture failures for appropriate corrective action.
- Takes an active role in each CAP inspection advising about all aspects of the CAP checklist. Participates in CAP inspections of outside cytogenetic laboratories (CAP I&A Programs), as appropriate.
- Participate in peer review of colleagues.
Laboratory and Clinical Service Management
- Promote and support TriCore’s mission, vision, values, strategic plan, and quality policies in all activities.
- Set annual goals for the laboratory or clinical service jointly with the relevant TriCore manager and with the TriCore CMO.
- Direct jointly with TriCore managers all aspects of certification, capital purchases, personnel, (including selection, evaluation and assignment of key personnel), budget, test and technology selection, accessioning, and reporting.
- Provide test interpretation and clinical consultation to laboratory and clinical service clients.
- Develop and maintain relationships with Genetic Counselors to improve medical outcomes and appropriateness of testing.
- Provide sign out of clinical cases in concert with Medical Directors
- Participates in Abnormal Case Review for the cytogenetics department.
The above statements describe the general nature and level of work being performed by individuals assigned to this classification. This is not intended to be an exhaustive list of all responsibilities and duties required of personnel so classified.