Van Andel Research Institute (VARI) is a leading independent biomedical research facility dedicated to determining the epigenetic, genetic, molecular and cellular origins of cancer, Parkinson’s and other diseases, and translating those findings into effective therapies. The Institute is home to more than 330 scientists and support staff that work in on-site laboratories and in collaborative partnerships that span the globe.
We are currently seeking to hire a cryo-EM Core Specialist to assist in the daily operations of our state of the art cryo-EM facility, which includes the latest Titan Krios microscope. The cryo-EM Core provides cryo-EM data collection, and single particle image processing/method development services to both internal and external researchers.
As our cryo-EM Core Specialist, you will work under the direction of the cryo-EM Core Facility Manager and will be responsible for the following Key Areas:
- Provide cryo-EM technology assistant to users including sample preparation, data collection, data processing using state-of-art software, and 3-D reconstruction.
- Operate hardware associated with EM data collection such as microscope, direct electron detector, sample robot, liquid nitrogen levels and responsible for their maintenance.
- Record projects and experimental conditions in an electronic laboratory notebook.
- Communicate experimental details with the users and other relevant project team members.
- Help users prepare the experimental method section in resulting publications.
- Other duties as assigned.