Research Scientist - Product Development (Life Sciences)
Help Illumina investigate the next big tech advances in NGS!
Full Time / Temporary (12 month contract), based in Cambridgeshire
Fantastic opportunity for a post-doctoral scientist, who has a multi-disciplinary background, and wants the opportunity to validate and develop cutting-edge tools for the genomics sector.
Illumina is the global leader in Next Generation Sequencing (NGS) technology and their key platforms encompass technologies across biotechnology, physics, engineering, materials science and software.
The Technology Development team is looking for a Product Development Scientist or Engineer (with a multi-disciplinary background) to drive innovation into Illumina’s product pipeline. This is an exciting opportunity to investigate and evaluate new technologies that could be applied to improve or broaden NGS applications.
The incumbent would be joining a multidisciplinary team, which is part of a larger super-group of 30+ scientists whose function is to identify and develop Illumina’s NGS product offering – this function is at the heart of Illumina’s success.
Job duties include but are not limited to:
- Identifying and pursuing opportunities to develop new technology and business opportunities through individual and team creativity
- Hands-on product development and design of novel solutions to complex mechanical, fluidic and manufacturing problems
- Taking the technical lead on projects working closely within teams of scientists and engineers
- Providing major input to identification of technical challenges and solutions
- Delivering technical reports and producing high quality design documentation
- Generating high quality analysis work autonomously
This is a fantastic opportunity to help shape the future of Illumina, by identifying and developing novel technologies key to Illumina's strategic business plan. This would suit a candidate that has a background in product development, within the life science/diagnostics or similar market, who enjoys identifying cutting-edge technology at its early stages and developing them into truly innovative products.