In accordance with the Mission, Vision and Values, and strategic directions of Provincial Health Services Authority patient safety is a priority and a responsibility shared by everyone at PHSA, and as such, the requirement to continuously improve quality and safety is inherent in all aspects of this position.
The Computer Systems Specialist provides high-end technical support for the GSC information technology infrastructure. This infrastructure includes the data servers, data network, and client workstations, as well as the website. Duties include establishing technical standards, designing infrastructure architecture, installing, configuring and upgrading infrastructure components, monitoring infrastructure security and performance, and proactively planning infrastructure enhancements.
This position is unionized and falls under the HEU collective agreement
- Installs, configures, modifies and tests computer hardware used as servers on the GSC network.
- Installs, configures, and upgrades server software.
- Designs and implements the GSC network infrastructure, including the design of network topology and the selection and installation of network components.
- Monitors the security of the information technology infrastructure and its components, including firewalls.
- Prepares and communicates policies and procedures on security.
- Develops configuration standards and implementation procedures for network peripherals such as client workstations and network printers.
- Maintains website hardware and runs webserver software.
- Creates and maintains mailing groups.
- Codes, modifies, tests and maintains programs to meet user requirements.
- Develops GSC wide backup and recovery procedures.
- Monitors and reports on the performance of all infrastructure components, and responds to and resolves any issues regarding performance.
- Prepares plans for proactive infrastructure upgrades, including evidence-based reporting on the rationale for such upgrades.
- Resolves user issues on the technical infrastructure.
- Provides expert advice on technical issues.
- Assists with strategic planning on GSC information technology infrastructure, including data, voice and video.
- Consults with external contacts, including vendors and external partners, on issues regarding technical infrastructure.
- Performs related duties as required.