Computational Biologist Postdoctoral Fellow (Joint Genome Institute) - 82858
Organization: JG-Joint Genome Institute
Berkeley Lab is bringing Science Solutions to the World, and YOU can be a part of it!
In the world of science, Lawrence Berkeley National Laboratory (LBNL, http://www.lbl.gov/) is synonymous with "excellence." That's why we hire the best - whether in research, science or operations. This is a great opportunity to bring your top-notch skills to bear in support of world-class scientific research that addresses national and global challenges!
The Joint Genome Institute (JGI, http://jgi.doe.gov/) has an exciting opportunity available for a Computational Biologist Postdoctoral Fellow. We are looking for a talented, highly motivated candidate with a strong background in microbiology and computational biology to join the New Lineages of Life project. You will be expected to reconstruct and characterize genomes from candidate phyla and novel phylogenetic lineages through the large-scale analysis of metagenomic data and assemble a genomic reference catalogue of microbial “dark matter.”
• Responsible for designing and managing large-scale analyses of metagenomes to identify candidate phyla to target for genome reconstruction and metabolic characterization as part of a microbial “dark matter” genomic catalogue
• Utilize scripting language(s) and apply standard bioinformatics tools and pipelines for the analysis of genomic and metagenomic data
• Work in a high-performance computing environment and interact with a team of computer scientists, software developers and postdoctoral researchers to develop new methods and tools for large-scale metagenomic data analysis
• Apply knowledge of microbial metabolism and physiology to carry out in-depth characterization of genomes from novel phylogenetic lineages
• Present updates at group meetings and at scientific conferences, and publish results in peer-reviewed journals
• Contribute to research as part of a large multidisciplinary team
Additional Desired Responsibilities:
• Develop software for the organization and handling of metagenomic data and automation of analytical procedures
• Support the development of user interface for navigation and data comparisons across thousands of genomic and metagenomic samples