Computational Biologist Postdoctoral Fellow (Joint Genome Institute) - 81631
Organization: JG-Joint Genome Institute
Berkeley Lab is Bringing Science Solutions to the World, and YOU can be a part of it!
In the world of science, Lawrence Berkeley National Laboratory (Berkeley Lab) is synonymous with "excellence." That's why we hire the best - whether in research, finance or other operations. This is a great opportunity to bring your top-notch skills to bear in support of world-class scientific research that addresses national and global challenges!
Berkeley Lab’s Joint Genome Institute (JGI) has an immediate opening for a Computational Biologist Postdoctoral Fellow. In this position you will work with the Plant Functional Genomics Group to perform research in plant genomics as part of an Advanced Research Projects Agency-Energy (ARPA-E) funded project to developed advanced breeding methods for sorghum.
What You Will Do:
• Store and organize results for presentation and viewing by project team members and the wider scientific community and prepare results for publication in scientific journals.
• Perform QTL and association studies to identify genomic regions associated with specific traits
• Create de-novo assemblies for many sorghum lines
• Improve methods for defining the core and pan-genome based on the de-novo assemblies
• Use the pan-genome to improve the accuracy of QTL and association studies
• Store and organize results for presentation and viewing by JGI staff, collaborators and the wider scientific community
• Interact with multi-institution project team to ensure efficient communication and completion of analysis projects
• Document group analysis procedures and methods for reference
• Write results up for publication
• Perform follow-up experiments to confirm computational predictions.
• Work with group members and/or outside collaborators on additional pan-genome projects.