The Genome Sciences Centre is seeking a temporary full-time Computational Biologist to join our analysis team in a state of the art, high throughput genomics facility. The successful applicant will participate in the analysis of sequencing data by developing, refining and adapting bioinformatics tools for high-throughput processing pipelines. We seek candidates with strong coding experience in Python or other high-level object-oriented languages (e.g. C/C++, Java etc). Experience with statistical analysis and handling of biological data are also desirable. The role is ideally suited for a creative individual with a strong interest in software development and data analysis within an academic setting. Packaging and distribution of developed tools and analysis results to the scientific community and contribution to preparation of scientific publications are expected.
- Develops and maintains core analysis pipelines at the GSC, such as:
- Somatic and single sample variant calling on whole genomes, exomes and transcriptomes (eg SNVs, indels, CNVs, LOH)
- De novo assembly of short read sequences and identification of putative structural variants.
- Gene and transcript expression quantification and differential expression
- Microbial classification and detection
- New analyses pipelines as required
- Performs statistical and population analysis of large cohorts of biological data.
- Responds to analysis requests from the scientific community by running core pipelines, additional statistical analyses, suggesting analyses where appropriate, preparing presentations of results to collaborators and responding to collaborator questions on results.
- Prepares data visualization for publication or oral presentations.
- Presents results of analysis or software testing internally and externally
- Performs literature searches, testing and validation of new data analysis software.
- Performs other related duties as required.