Cures Start Here.
At Fred Hutchinson Cancer Research Center, home to three Nobel laureates, interdisciplinary teams of world-renowned scientists seek new and innovative ways to prevent, diagnose and treat cancer, HIV/AIDS and other life-threatening diseases. Fred Hutch's pioneering work in bone marrow transplantation led to the development of immunotherapy, which harnesses the power of the immune system to treat cancer with minimal side effects. An independent, nonprofit research institute based in Seattle, Fred Hutch houses the nation's first and largest cancer prevention research program, as well as the clinical coordinating center of the Women's Health Initiative and the international headquarters of the HIV Vaccine Trials Network.
Careers Start Here.
Program Evaluation Project Manager will collaborate with the HVTN's Network Evaluation Committee (NEC) to manage and implement the Network's evaluation plan. Evaluation is a critical function as it helps to assess the effectiveness of the Network's activities, to inform decision making, to improve the program, and to demonstrate accountability to our stakeholders.
This position is responsible for ensuring that proper qualitative and quantitative evaluation is conducted and uses data to make recommendations for increased effectiveness. The incumbent works independently in performing both routine and non-routine tasks and uses good judgment in making decisions regarding data management, quality control and liaison tasks. The incumbent works with members of the NEC to ensure that the relevant data are collected and appropriately presented to meet the needs of the relevant grant(s).
The HVTN includes the Core Operations Center, the Statistical and Data Management Center, the Laboratory Program and the clinical trial sites around the world. The incumbent reports to the Director of Information Technology and Program Evaluation in the Core Operations Center.
Perform some or all of the following responsibilities:
- Implement the HVTN evaluation plan under the direction of the Director of Information Technology and Program Evaluation
- Actively participate as a member of the Network Evaluation Committee (NEC) to identify and define key quantitative and qualitative performance indicators / metrics and to review these annually to ensure the indicators provide useful feedback
- Develop and manage an online indicator database
- Assist with preparation and distribution of quarterly and annual evaluation reports
- Manage data pipelines; extract and transform data from multiple data sources and platforms in a variety of input formats (including text files)
- Use tools such as Microsoft Excel, Microsoft Access, Microsoft SharePoint, LabKey, DataFax and MediData Rave to manipulate, visualize, and report on data
- Monitor data quality
- Assess data for completeness and consistency; communicate findings
- Work with the team to resolve data issues. This may include working directly with data contributors to address data issues.
- Interface with key parties to ensue data is both internally and externally valid, as well as reliable
- Communicate findings with reports and presentations; Upload data and reports for data sharing and/or transfer
- Produce recommendations based on data analysis that will improve programmatic performance
- Collaborate with other staff in the HVTN including clinical trials managers, site liaison managers, who oversee site monitoring in Southern Africa, community engagement managers, training project managers and others, to help build and maintain capacity at clinical trial sites
- Manage special Evaluation & Planning projects
- Set project goals and timetables, ensuring that all research and administrative activities are completed.
- Develop, review, revise, and implement research materials which may include questionnaires, surveys or other data collection instruments
- Plan and attend meetings, monitor activities to ensure objectives have been met within designated time frame, and coordinate follow-up activities.
- Report evaluation findings to various stakeholder groups
- Document processes and/or findings for publications as required.
- Work with the Director of Information Technology and Program Evaluation and NEC members to build upon and strengthen the current evaluation system
- Identify potential new projects and develop systems to increase efficiency and standardize activities
- Share administrative support duties with other members of the Evaluation Unit
- Participate in the production of written procedures, SOPs/WPGs, policies, and data standards in support of evaluation activities
- Perform other duties as needed.
The ideal candidate will possess the following qualifications and skills:
- Ability to work with a diverse set of individuals, remotely and in person.
- Ability to perform project work independently, assess options and suggest solutions, and implement chosen option upon direction
- Problem-solve proactively
- Ability to review, understand, and apply program evaluation principles and guidelines
- Comfortable communicating remotely through video chat, messaging, emailing, and other electronic methods
- Must be flexible and willing to occasionally upgrade skills in order to meet changing job conditions and requirements
- Understanding of basic statistics, the parameters of given statistics, and the appropriate application of various statistical methods
- Understand databases, web-based programs, electronic records, and tools that interface with these items
- Expertise in Microsoft Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Access, and on-line survey products as well as web-based data bases
- Exceptional analytical, oral and written communication skills
- Excellent project management skills
- Must be able to troubleshoot data collection tools, collection mechanisms, and communicate with both technical and non-technical audiences
- Passionate about data and inquiry and will be skilled at using technology to organize and present data.
- Excellent organizational skills, a demonstrated ability to handle multiple priorities effectively, and have a strong attention to detail
- Experience in public health and/or community health and an interest in HIV/AIDS and evaluation, especially evaluation of scientific research activities.
- Tableau or similar software experience would be helpful.
- BA/BS in related field required. A master's or higher graduate degree in a biological, social, or health science field is desired.
- Relevant experience in project evaluation, management and/or research administration is highly desirable.
To apply for this position, please CLICK HERE