The Clinical Laboratory Scientist is responsible for performing high complexity laboratory testing on patient specimens, interpreting and reporting patient results, performing quality control and quality assurance procedures and complying with all applicable local, state and federal laboratory requirements.
The high complexity nature of the work requires excellent attention to detail, effective written and verbal communication skills, the ability to multi-task and be flexible with tasks and schedules and the ability to work independently in a team environment.
The Clinical Laboratory Scientist will consistently display excellent execution in all aspects of their work and contribute in projects and discussions in addition to daily laboratory testing.
The Clinical Laboratory Scientist will consistently demonstrate Genomic Health core values.
- Perform laboratory tests, procedures and analyses according to the laboratory's standard operating procedures
- Perform, review and document laboratory quality control procedures.
- Operate, maintain and troubleshoot laboratory equipment.
- Prepare reagents required for laboratory testing.
- Review, interpret and report patient results.
- Independently identify and troubleshoot complex problems that adversely affect test performance.
- Supervise unlicensed laboratory personnel.
- Demonstrates the ability to train laboratory personnel on current and new procedures.
- Maintain sufficient inventory of laboratory supplies for daily operations.
- Participate in testing and validation of new laboratory equipment and procedures.
- Must communicate effectively with coworkers and non-laboratory personnel.
- Demonstrates the ability to address issues with non-laboratory personnel with assistance from senior staff and supervisors.
- Maintain stringent standards for quality, identifying any issues which might adversely impact the quality of test results and/or employee safety, and communicating these to the appropriate management representatives as necessary for resolution.
- May provide leadership in daily activities as shift Lead.
- Perform Quality Assurance activities for internal Audits and inspection preparation.
- Prioritize a positive work environment.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
- Must possess a valid California CLS license.
- Completion of a CLS, CGMBS, or equivalent training program at an accredited institution.
- At least two years of clinical laboratory experience as a Clinical Laboratory Scientist, CGMBS or equivalent.
- Possess working knowledge of local, state and federal laboratory regulations.
- Strong laboratory automation skills.
- Strong computer skills.
- Demonstrates the ability to analyze and problem solve complex issues that impact test performance.
- Ability to effectively communicate technical information to technical and non-technical audiences.
- Ability to manage daily test processing needs along with project needs in a high quality, efficient and effective manner.
- Ability to perform repetitive tasks.
- Strong communicator with ability to maintain open communication with internal employees, managers and customers as needed.
- Ability to integrate and apply feedback in a professional manner.
- Ability to prioritize and drive to results with a high emphasis on quality.
- Ability to work as part of a team.
- High volume laboratory experience preferred.
- Training in molecular biology techniques preferred.
- Proficient in Microsoft Office programs, Excel, Power Point, Word
- Previous experience working with LIMS.