We are hiring for our in-house Flow Cytometry Laboratory and offer a competitive salary/benefits package, based on your level of experience and expertise.
At Methodist Hospital South Texas, we operate a high-volume laboratory supporting our tertiary care surgical hospital. We benefit from a robust bone marrow transplant group and evaluate over 1200 bone marrow biopsies per year. Currently, our Flow Cytometry specialists (4-5 FTE) collaborate with on-site Hematopathologists (3 FTE) to perform appropriate flow cytometric immunophenotyping and bone marrow cytology differentials
Essential Job Functions:
1. Aids manager with developing new diagnostic procedures, protocols and techniques. Assists in training new employees, as well as, aiding correct implementation of new procedures. Enables the laboratory to perform optimally and is responsible for personal employee output and conduct. Ensures competency and raises concern to manager when issues or perceived under-performance arises.
2. Understands flow Cytometry and laboratory methods, demonstrates knowledge of pathological processes with correlation of disease states and test results. Independently performs specimen processing and testing to include moderate and high complexity testing (as appropriate per facility). Satisfactorily completes competency checklist for this position. May administer quality control and calibration of instrumentation where applicable.
3. Follows established compliance standards set forth by accrediting agencies: CAP, JCAHO, CLIA, AABB, FDA and CMS. Aids in development and implementation of policies and procedures for the Section. Understands and applies CQI principles; attempts to anticipate needs and support quality assurance programs, provides corrective action and documentation, when needed. Under the direction of the manager and section director, monitors and reports quality assurance data. Interprets applicable regulations to direct recordkeeping for complete and accurate documentation.
4. Assists in developing and evaluating laboratory methodologies, procedures and techniques in the area of clinical specialty. Contributes to the development and completion of departmental short and long term goals and objectives. Meets with other staff members to discuss progress and to develop future courses of action. Regularly considers departmental strengths, weaknesses, opportunities and constraints.
5. Acts as a resource to customers, both within the department and outside the department, on testing methods and procedures, and laboratory operations, safety and training. When needed, functions as laboratory liaison and contact person in the absence of other management personnel.
6. Prioritizes accuracy and timeliness of patient test results; enable data metric for operational and statistical reports for management and regulatory agencies to comply with regulations.
Additional Job Functions:
1. When needed, assists the Hematopathologists and Flow Cytometry Manager with special projects to include developing a plan, coordinating necessary resources, setting project timelines, keeping Manager informed of progress, and completing project within established time limits.
2. Applies education resources (passive and active opportunities) and puts new knowledge, understanding, or skill to practical use on the job; independently furthers learning by using newly acquired knowledge or skills to use on a consistent basis.
3. Remains an accountable, honest and cooperative professional while collaborating with multidisciplinary colleagues.
This job description is intended to describe the general nature and work responsibilities of this position. The job description and duties of this position are subject to change, modification and supplementation as deemed necessary by the System and facility. Employees are required to comply with supervisory instructions and to perform other job duties, responsibilities and assignments requested by supervisors, managers and administration.