The Institute of Translational Genomics is seeking to hire a bioinformatician or “informatics specialist for bioinformatics” to work with members of the Institute of Translational Genomics in the development of pipelines a new Next-Generation Sequencing Center to service the Keck School of Medicine, the University of Southern California (USC), and its affiliates. This masters or bachelors level individual will work other bioinformaticians and the Sequencing Center leadership to develop pipelines in support of sequencing data analysis, management, related resources resources.
The idea candidate will have
- Applicants with background in molecular biology, genetics or similar field, strong laboratory experience and bioinformatics expertise are encouraged to apply.
- An in-depth and practical knowledge of bio-statistics and the ability to work with a variety of different biological data types.
- Have previously worked with NGS data, including RNA-seq and ChIP-seq.
- Strong computer skills on the analysis of genomic data using bioinformatics, in addition to working knowledge of sequencing technologies is required.
- Proficiency in Python, postgreSQL and R. Programming experience with two scripting languages, either Python, Perl or Ruby, and standard algorithms - data structures.
- Experience working with cancer genomics or epigenomics data from patient samples, mouse models or cancer cell lines.
- The applicant must have clearly demonstrated skill for scientific research in the field through scientific publications, conference presentations and similar scholarly achievements.
- Familiarity with relational database systems and writing SQL queries for data management/storage retrieval.