1. Regularly attends board meetings and important related meetings.
2. Makes serious commitment to participate actively in committee work.
3. Volunteers for and willingly accepts assignments and completes them thoroughly and on time.
4. Stays informed about committee matters, prepares themselves well for meetings, and reviews and comments on minutes and reports.
5. Gets to know other committee members and builds a collegial working relationship that contributes to consensus.
6. Is an active participant in the committee's annual evaluation and planning efforts.
7. Participates in fund raising for the organization. Ideally the Board Member will have strong interest, and hopefully experience, in one or more of the following: funding of biomedical research in disciplines such as cancer/oncology, cardiovascular disease/cardiology, diabetes, and neurologic health problems. S/he will also have effective participation in Board activities, advising and providing council on legal documentation, necessary filings, hiring processes, personnel policies and salary scale. Exceptional talent in fund raining and/or marketing will be highly valued. These areas involve identifying prospective donors, building relationships with them and developing strategies for their cultivation.
Board Secretary Job Description
1. Is a member of the Board
2. Maintains records of the board and ensures effective management of organization's records
3. Manages minutes of board meetings
4. Ensures minutes are distributed to members shortly after each meeting
5.Is sufficiently familiar with legal documents (articles, by-laws, IRS letters, etc.) to note applicability during meetings