Biologist Staff Scientist - Sequencing Technology Group Lead - 81962
Organization: JG-Joint Genome Institute
Berkeley Lab is Bringing Science Solutions to the World, and YOU can be a part of it!
In the world of science, Lawrence Berkeley National Laboratory (Berkeley Lab) is synonymous with "excellence." That's why we hire the best - whether in research, finance or other operations. This is a great opportunity to bring your top-notch skills to bear in support of world-class scientific research that addresses national and global challenges!
The Department of Energy Joint Genome Institute (DOE JGI, a division of Berkeley Lab) has an exciting opportunity for a Biologist Staff Scientist. This position plays a critical strategic leadership role at the JGI. You will serve as a member of the JGI Strategic Management team and provides effective leadership, guidance, and mentorship to research and technical staff. Overall, the position oversees technology and applied science activities at the JGI that is comprised of 4 research groups and 34 staff members (including scientists, research associates, project managers and data analysts). Two of the groups (Sample Preparation and Sequencing Platforms) have coordinated JGI-wide communication and decision-making authority through an established day-to-day Production Manager. A third group is focused on R&D management and capacity planning within a budget framework. The final group is actively extending JGI capabilities for next generation JGI users. Position reports to the Genomic Technologies Department Leader/Deputy Director.
What You Will Do:
Leadership and Management
• Serve in a critical strategic leadership role at the Joint Genome Institute (JGI).
• Lead and direct the Production Sequencing area and effectively work within a JGI team environment and promote a team approach.
• Direct, oversee and manage R&D activities within group.
• Appropriately adapt as organization continues to evolve.
• Endorse JGI core values (transparency, fairness, team-playing, mutual respect, assisting others, sharing/inclusion).
• Manage the processing of special molecular biology samples that do not have standard protocols.
• Design experiments, conduct research and lead the group in stabilizing molecular protocols and transferring routine procedures to the Production Group.
• Develop processes and protocols to seamlessly transfer DNA libraries for loading on Production Sequencing Machines.
• Develop new protocols and troubleshoot and optimize current protocols as needed to meet scientific research goals.
• Maintain Standard Operating Procedures.
• Attend and present status reports at group meetings.
• Keep and maintain accurate and detailed records of all research and experiments performed.
• Participate in strategic planning activities with Sr. Management.
• Develop, plan and implement strategic goals and initiatives to meet the needs of the JGI’s scientific research program.
• Identify, test, and (if warranted) implement new functional genomic capabilities.
• Evaluate and select relevant technology applications and procedures for modification and improvement.
• Develop novel applications that fully utilize the advantages of second and third generation sequencing technologies for the DOE research community and broader scientific communities.
• Implement the use of new technologies within the Library and Production groups.
• Develop research proposals that lead to successful independent funding through highly competitive grant competitions from the National Institute of Health or other national/international entities.
• Summarize group’s findings in reports and papers and submit for publication.
• Publish in peer review journals; contribute to scientific research papers and reports.
• Attend and present data at outside meetings and conferences.
• Collaborate and interact with peers within and outside of the JGI.
• Attend Senior Management Meetings, including strategic planning activities.
• Perform other related scientific and managerial responsibilities based on organizational demands and change.