Bioinformatics Systems Analyst 2- Sequencing Technologies - 81167
The DOE Joint Genome Institute (JGI) in Walnut Creek, CA (a division of the Lawrence Berkeley National Lab) has an exciting research opportunity available for an experienced Bioinformatics Analyst. Will perform DNA and RNA sequence analysis for production and research and development projects. Duties include performing thorough quality analysis of sequence data produced by the new generation sequencing technologies instruments. Focus will be on analysis of fungal and plant sequence data. Will implement improvements to data analysis systems, assess and improve existing tools, develop new tools for general use and provide technical and analytical interpretation of data. May also provide custom analysis support to external collaborators and supervise non-exempt group members.
• Perform quality analysis of sequence data and assist others in interpretation of analyzed data.
• Define quality metrics for assessing library and sequencer performance.
• Design, Develop and improve tools to evaluate quality of data generated by various sequencing platforms and library types.
• Refine and improve existing analytical tools and provide high quality data to collaborators.
• Provide clear and concise professional reports.
• Work closely with scientists and production staff to improve production automation quality.
• Apply analytical skills and creativity to troubleshoot problems of a moderate scope.
• Present technical and analytical status in meetings.
Additional desired responsibilities:
• Stay current with new sequencing technologies.
• Provide feedback on the improvement of the library construction and sequencing procedures.
• Train biologists to use the available data analysis tools.