You will work within a growing team to provide bioinformatics support and expertise for R&D and production activities across Mascoma and its parent company Lallemand Inc. The key activities for this position include: expanding in-house bioinformatics capabilities and infrastructure, performing exploratory and routine bioinformatics analyses, identifying new opportunities where bioinformatics can bring value, and reporting and discussing findings with colleagues across disciplines.
Topics of particular interest are: explaining phenotypic differences between strains through comparative genomics and transcriptomics; de novo genome assembly and annotation; genomics-based species and strain identification; determining species and strain abundances using metagenomics techniques; and facilitating the exploration of omics data by fellow researchers. Task associated with this position also include to:
- Deliver high quality and timely bioinformatics analyses to help solve complex problems as part of multi-disciplinary teams including molecular biologists, bioprocess scientists, process engineers, application specialists, etc.;
- Develop and validate new bioinformatics workflows in response to the needs of the R&D organization;
- Automate routine bioinformatics analysis and reporting workflows;
- Train colleagues in accessing and interpreting bioinformatics results;
- Improve company-wide access and use of omics data;
- Document bioinformatics procedures, and contribute to patent applications and/or peer-reviewed journal articles relevant to our products;
- Supervise and facilitate outsourcing of any third-party omics services.