As a Bioinformatic Software Engineer at Children’s Hospital Colorado, you will be a key member of the Precision Diagnostics team, PDx, with the opportunity to develop the labs’ genomics analysis pipeline. PDx offer both oncology and germline testing thus this position will be responsible for full design, optimization and validation of application specific algorithms to meet the varying testing needs. Duties will include creating novel computational approaches and analytical tools as well as adapting pre-existing processes for large scale analysis of genomic sequence data for both clinical and research purposes. Working knowledge of manipulating publicly accessible, commercial and/or propriotery databases is essential as well as creating user interfaces to bioinformatics software and computational tools for clinical based activities. As the subject matter expert it will be expected that this role provides technical direction to both scientific and technical personnel as well as provide the necessery training for the different user groups.
Specialty Areas: Proven development experience with at least one object-oriented programming language (Python, C++, Pascal or other), Experience developing algorithms processing next-generation sequencing (NGS) data, Proficency with relational databases and UNIX environment.
DUTIES & RESPONSIBILITIES
An employee in this position may be called upon to do any or all of the following essential functions. These examples do not include all of the functions which the employee may be expected to perform.
• Develop and maintain NGS algorithms, analytical mechanisms, and modules of bioinformatics pipelines, while improving speed, accuracy, and automation.
- Prepares time lines, project plans and flow charts for the development or enhancement of new and existing genomics applications.
- Partners with the scientific team to optimize and validate new analytical tools and processes
- Provides recommendations regarding configuration, design, usability and maintainability for applications, interfaces and other dependencies that integrate with platforms.
- Gathers, analyzes and documents complex clinical and user requirements, functional requirements and data specifications. Designs, writes and documents technical specifications to design or redesign complex applications.
- Collaborates with applications staff and users of information systems to evaluate, plan, design, develop, test, implement, and maintain application development efforts and/or reports.
- Recommends, leads and creates peripheral technologies and IT processes in support of application platforms.
- Recommends, develops, documents and maintains software coding and development standards, principles and practices.
- Serves as a technical resource for modeling, simulation and analysis efforts. Verifies program logic by overseeing the preparation of test data, testing and debugging of programs.