Why is one person more likely to develop a disease, like cancer, than someone else? Why would one person respond differently to treatment than another? Illumina’s technologies are helping researchers and clinicians around the world to answer these questions and others, on a scale not even possible a few years ago.
Illumina is the only life sciences company developing genome-wide technologies for genotyping, gene expression and sequencing—the three cornerstones of modern genetic analysis. By enabling studies of thousands of patient samples at once, our products set genetic discovery on fast forward. Within our growing Oncology Business Unit, we are striving to develop technologies that will transform basic cancer research and deliver products that will enable personalized treatments for cancer patients.
At Illumina we have a large number of Bioinformatics Scientist positions open and we’re scaling as we continue to grow. As a Scientist in Illumina’s Oncology Business Unit, you will work as part of a multi-disciplinary team to develop innovative solutions at the interface of bioinformatics and cancer biology.
Our group is focused on tackling some of the most challenging problems in cancer genomics spanning diverse research and clinical applications. If you are an expert in one or more of the following areas, we would like to hear from you.
- Algorithm development – develop algorithms for analysis of vast amount of studies across various data types and platforms for translational research and clinical applications.
- Data analysis – apply best practice statistical/computational methods to analyze large-scale biological data, such as gene expression, copy-number, mutation, methylation, next-generation sequencing, etc. in a fast-paced product development environment.
- Pipeline development – design and develop pipelines to address novel analytical challenges and to automate established analysis so that thousands of studies can be analyzed in a robust manner
Required Skills and Experience
- PhD in Bioinformatics, Computational Biology, Computer Science
- 3 - 5 years’ experience in bioinformatics integration across genomics, proteomics, genotyping and sequencing data type
- Expert knowledge on current bioinformatics/genomics/proteomics resources available at NCBI, Ensembl, UCSC, Broad Institute, etc.
- Strong experience in data analysis and pipeline development
- Strong knowledge of machine learning algorithms, and comfortable with big data manipulation
- Expert in Python, R, HPC, and/or C/C++/C#
- Ability to contribute independently and collaboratively, and to excel in a fast-paced environment
- Must be very detailed oriented
- Superior written and verbal communication skills
Desired Skills and Experience
- Background in oncology or clinical experience
Illumina believes that everyone has the ability to make an impact, and we are proud to be an equal opportunity employer committed to providing employment opportunity regardless of sex, race, creed, color, gender, religion, marital status, domestic partner status, age, national origin or ancestry, physical or mental disability, medical condition, sexual orientation, pregnancy, military or veteran status, citizenship status, and genetic information.
Illumina is improving human health by unlocking the power of the genome. If that inspires you, let’s talk. Having built a culture fueled by innovation, collaboration and openness, we’ve established ourselves as the global leader in DNA sequencing and array-based technologies. Our people and our technology change lives by driving advancements in life sciences, oncology, reproductive health, agriculture and other emerging markets. We are deeply passionate about what we do, because we know that our work has the power to improve lives.
We’re an established company with a track record of phenomenal growth. Our revenue grew from $10 million in 2002 to approximately $2.2 billion in 2015. Our growth isn’t just revenue; we’ve been hiring the best and the brightest. That’s why MIT ranked Illumina near the top of its World’s Smartest Companies list three years running, including #1 in 2014. If you thrive in a brilliant, fast-paced, and mission-driven environment, Illumina is the place for you – imagine the possibilities.