Bioinformatician needed to analyze human and non-human genomic sequences for association with health related phenotypes such as Alzheimers and other common complex diseases and Mendelian diseases.
The Human Genome Sequencing Center (HGSC) at Baylor College of Medicine is recruiting a Bioinformatics Programmer 2. This position requires a trained bioinformatician, preferably with experience in genomics and next generation sequencing. The Genome Assembly and Analysis group is responsible for global and local de novo assembly based analyses and informatics analyses for both research and clinical applications. The candidate will be required to interact with other staff scientists, informaticians, and collaborators. Because of this deep and varied interaction, they will need excellent communication and presentation skills.
- Performs in-depth sequence analyses on large genomic datasets.
- Applies existing custom bioinformatics software to both well-defined and novel genome analysis problems.
- Designs, codes, tests, debug, and maintain programs and research software for genome sequence analysis applications.
- Researches, assesses, imports, configures, and customizes third-party bioinformatics software.
- Uses and customizes statistical graphing tools to visualize sequence data.
- Performs other job-related duties as assigned.
- Minimum Education Required: Bachelor's degree in Computer Science or Biological Sciences.
- Preferred: Advanced degree in Bioinformatics/Computer Science.
- Minimum Job Experience Required: Two years’ experience in scientific programming with applications to biological research or a Master's degree in Computer Science or Biological Sciences.
- Required: Experience with Perl, HTML, CGI, relation databases and SQL.
- Programming in a UNIX/LINUX environment.
- Next Generation sequence analysis experience preferred.
- Molecular biology experience highly encouraged.
- Bioinformatics experience highly encouraged.
- Developing in cloud environment a plus.
Note: Examples of coding projects and/or an oral presentation may be requested.
For additional and information and to apply: https://chk.tbe.taleo.net/chk01/ats/careers/requisition.jsp?org=BCM&cws=1&rid=10672
Baylor College of Medicine is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action/Equal Access Employer.