Bioinformatics and Biostatistics Core Director
Van Andel Research Institute (VARI) is a leading independent biomedical research facility dedicated to determining the epigenetic, genetic, molecular, and cellular origins of cancer, Parkinson’s, and other diseases, and translating those findings into effective therapies. Our Core Technologies and Services support more than 330 scientists and staff in on-site laboratories and collaborative partnerships that span the globe. We are currently seeking a Bioinformatics and Biostatistics Core Director to join our team of highly experienced and skilled Core Technologies and Services leaders.
The VARI Bioinformatics and Biostatistics Core (BBC) is currently staffed by two PhD bioinformatics research scientists and two MS biostatisticians, who provide computational and statistical research support to a growing number of scientists dedicated to studying cancer, neurodegenerative disease, and epigenetics at Van Andel Research Institute. They process and analyze next generation sequencing data, aid in experimental design, perform statistical modeling, develop and refine novel analytic methods, and serve a critical role in fulfilling the Institute’s core mission of improving health and enhancing lives.
As our Bioinformatics and Biostatistics Core Director, your primary responsibility will be to lead this expanding group of energetic, innovative, and diverse scientists in providing efficient, high-quality computational and statistical expertise for VARI laboratories and external organizations in the analysis and interpretation of data.
You will be one of VARI’s principal experts in bioinformatics and/or biostatistics, shaping the design, analysis, interpretation, and visualization of next-generation sequencing data, high-throughput drug screens, and a wide variety of experiments producing diverse types of data.
As the Core Director you will:
- Direct the day-to-day operations of the BBC;
- With input from a faculty advisory committee and a faculty advisor, assess and plan the strategic direction of the BBC;
- Provide consultation and support for the writing and submission of faculty-initiated research grants and manuscripts;
- Prepare proposals for equipment and personnel grants, which can include internal and external opportunities (e.g. S10s, R50s);
- Serve as an internal and external spokesperson for the Core, representing the Institution and contributing at a national level;
- Collaborate with other VARI cores to further promote team science and identify partnerships and synergies with VARI and non-VARI core facilities;
- Develop educational initiatives including seminars, workshops, and other materials for VARI investigators, research scientists, postdocs, student and staff on established and emerging bioinformatic and biostatistics methods;