JOB SUMMARY/ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTIONS:
The Bioinformatics Analyst assists the Molecular Bioinformatics (mBIO) institutional core facility to support research-based bioinformatics (genomics and proteomics) for the UTHSC community. This position analyzes several large-scale discovery projects using the latest next generation sequencing (NGS) technologies available at the UTHSC Molecular Resource Center (MRC) genomics institutional core and large-scale protein and metabolite profiling data sets generated at the UTHSC Proteomics & Metabolomics institutional core (PMC).
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Performs data analysis, including next generation sequencing (NGS) or microarray data sets, using the appropriate workflows, algorithms and statistical methods.
- Communicates computational biology principles and concepts to non-specialists in a clear, precise and professional manner with a dedication to user satisfaction with informatics services.
- Performs machine and equipment maintenance, including system and bioinformatics tool updates for Genomics, Proteomics, and Metabolomics.
Performs weekly checks of the UTHSC GALAXY server and maintaining a complete list of new tools and updates needed for installation.
- Retrieves and archives geonomic data.
- Interprets raw data of mass spectrometry profiles for proteomics and metabolomics using appropriate statistical methods.
- Collaborates with computational biologists, IT personnel and researchers to adhere to System and University policies related to network security and data storage.
- Generates figures for publications and grants and retrieving and archiving researchers’ data.
- Maintains accurate records and for tracking a large number of samples.
- Interacts with local and external computational biologists to stay abreast of current and emerging technologies and tools related to the field of bioinformatics.
- Attends scientific conferences and/or workshops related to bioinformatics.
- Perform other duties as required.