• Ph.D. degree in bioinformatics, computational biology, molecular biology, genetics, biostatistics, or related field with at least three years of relevant experience. While PhD is preferred, applicants with Master’s degree and significant (>2 years) experience will be considered.
• Strong background in bioinformatics with technical expertise in genetics and molecular biology
• Strong knowledge of at least one general programming language (such as Java, Python)
• Experience within a UNIX/Linux high-performance computing or Cloud environment
• Deep knowledge in scientific software development and large scale data analysis
• Prior experience with analysis of next-generation sequencing data (DNA and RNA), file formats, and data quality
• Demonstrated ability to work with biologists to apply computational approaches to their experiments as well as the ability to help them develop their own bioinformatics skills
• Good communication and team skills and fluency in both spoken and written English
• Ability to multitask
• Laboratory experience with genomics laboratory techniques, next-generation sequencing instruments and protocols
• Experience with relational databases and web application development
• Experience in next-generation sequencing analysis of cancer genomes (somatic variant detection, copy number analysis, purity determination, clonal subsets, etc…)
• Experience with statistical modeling and visualization in R
• Experience with novel algorithm development
• Experience with system administration of UNIX/Linux systems
• Experience developing automated data analysis pipelines
• Basic knowledge of software engineering best-practices
• Willingness to work in a fast paced environment that includes rapid turnaround of clinical samples
EDUCATION & EXPERIENCE (REQUIRED):
Bachelor's degree and three years of relevant experience or a combination of education and relevant experience.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES (REQUIRED):
• Current knowledge of latest software and design standards.
• Ability to define and solve logical problems for technical applications.
• Knowledge of and ability to select, adapt, and effectively use a variety of programming methods.
• Ability to recognize and recommend needed changes in user and/or operations procedures.
• Basic knowledge of software engineering principles.
• Strong knowledge of at least one programming language.
CERTIFICATIONS & LICENSES:
• Constantly perform desk-based computer tasks.
• Frequently sit, grasp lightly/fine manipulation.
• Occasionally stand/walk, writing by hand.
• Rarely use a telephone, lift/carry/push/pull objects that weigh up to 10 pounds
* - Consistent with its obligations under the law, the University will provide reasonable accommodation to any employee with a disability who requires accommodation to perform the essential functions of his or her job.
Additional PHYSICAL REQUIREMENTS: (remove if none)
May work extended hours, evening and weekends.