The Institute of Translational Genomics is seeking to hire a bioinformatician or “informatics specialist for bioinformatics” to work with members of the Institute of Translational Genomics in the development of pipelines a new Next-Generation Sequencing Center to service the Keck School of Medicine, the University of Southern California (USC), and its affiliates. This masters or bachelors level individual will work other bioinformaticians and the Sequencing Center leadership to develop pipelines in support of sequencing data analysis, management, related resources resources.
The ideal candidate will have:
- Applicants with background in molecular biology, genetics or similar field, strong laboratory experience and bioinformatics expertise are encouraged to apply.
- An in-depth and practical knowledge of bio-statistics and the ability to work with a variety of different biological data types.
- Have previously worked with NGS data, including RNA-seq and ChIP-seq.
- Experience working within a Linux-based environment and working with high-performance computing and cloud-based analysis platforms.
- Strong computer skills on the analysis of genomic data using bioinformatics, in addition to working knowledge of sequencing technologies is required.
- Proficiency in Python, postgreSQL and R. Programming experience with two scripting languages, either Python, Perl or Ruby, and standard algorithms - data structures.
- Experience working with genomics or epigenomics data from patient samples, mouse models or cancer cell lines.
- Familiarity with relational database systems and writing SQL queries for data management/storage retrieval.
Minimum Education: Master's degree, Combined work experience and education as equivalent
Minimum Experience: 1 year
Minimum Field of Expertise: Demonstrated creativity and innovation in solving conceptual programming problems. Competent to work independently on complex programming.