Do you want to make a difference? Illumina’s mission is to improve human health by unlocking the power of the genome. If that inspires you, let’s talk. We’ve built a culture fueled by innovation, collaboration and openness, and established ourselves as the global leader in DNA sequencing and array-based technologies. Our people and our technology change lives by driving advancements in life sciences, oncology, reproductive health, agriculture and other emerging markets. Life at Illumina is about working with teammates who are deeply passionate about what we do, because we know that our work has the power to improve lives. We’re an established company with a track record of phenomenal growth. Just check out our investor events and presentations to learn about our financial accomplishments. Our growth isn’t just in financials, we’ve been busy hiring the best and the brightest. Perhaps that’s why MIT has ranked Illumina near the top of its World’s Smartest Companies each of the last three years. If you thrive in a brilliant, fast-paced, and mission-driven environment, Illumina is the place for you. Join the journey of a lifetime. Join Illumina.
As a Scientist at Illumina in the Array Development organization you will work in a dynamic, fast paced, team-oriented environment and help create genomic analysis tools that enable leading-edge research and development. You will be a key individual contributor to integrated and multidisciplinary teams developing new, and improving existing Array technologies. You will plan, initiate, execute and analyze scientific research studies and/or critical development investigations for Illumina with as part of the R&D team and/or through individual studies.
All About You
· Identify, plan, evaluate, and manage execution and analysis of research ideas leading to large-scale, highly-multiplexed products for bio-molecule quantification based on Illumina’s proprietary technologies.
· Perform a wide range of functions, including: Development of novel assays and chemistries, Array consumables, characterization / QC tools and customer facing / manufacturing processes.
· Troubleshoot, characterize and improve existing processes and/or chemistries to establish robust and reproducible product or process performance.
· Develop reagent and consumable manufacturing processes, QC test methods, and perform analysis of large data sets.
· Work independently and within multi-disciplinary project teams of scientists, engineers, programmers, Operations and Quality.
· Conduct clear and concise communication with colleagues and supervisors through oral updates, written reports and technical meetings. Present status updates to Senior Management, including recommendations based on experimental results.
An ideal candidate will have a strong command of current biomolecular tools and assays and understand their interactions within a genomic assays and consumable devices. Skills required include:
· A deep understanding of biochemical processes, including PCR, Ligation, Hybridization, WGA, Nickases, methylation, biochemical labeling.
· Quantitative methods for characterization of biochemical systems, including NMR, HPLC, MS, MALDI-TOFF, GPC, Spectroscopic (non-linear, ellipsometery etc.)
· Understanding of surface and materials chemistry, including biomolecular interactions and surface conjugation methodologies.
· Proven experience with integration of biochemical and molecular biological assays onto a consumable device, including but not limited to, Nucleic acid, Protein, antibody, and enzymatic processes.
· Practical experience with microarrays or next-generation sequencing methods, including library prep. and sample indexing
· General knowledge base in theory of operation of analytical instrumentation (instrumentation, optics, thermodynamics, kinetics, material science, spectroscopy, statistical mechanics and dynamics, etc).
· Verifiable examples of use of troubleshooting and CPM methodologies for characterization, development and improvement of complex biochemical systems
· Strong math and statistics background, ability to use programming languages, excellent data analysis skills with large data sets.
· History of overcoming complex multidisciplinary technical challenges in a fast-paced, commercial environment within an interdisciplinary team setting and independently.
· Excellent communication skills is required.
· Motivated, enthusiastic, hard-working, cheerful individual who desires to be part of a fast-paced dynamic development environment.
Ph.D. in Biochemistry, Biophysics, physics, analytical or physical chemistry, Molecular Biology. A minimum of 0-3 yrs experience in a multidisciplinary Research and Development laboratory, preferably in biotech / medical device of similar industry.
Illumina believes that everyone has the ability to make an impact, and we are proud to be an equal opportunity employer committed to providing employment opportunity regardless of sex, race, creed, color, gender, religion, marital status, domestic partner status, age, national origin or ancestry, physical or mental disability, medical condition, sexual orientation, pregnancy, military or veteran status, citizenship status, and genetic information. If you have a disability or special need that requires accommodation, please contact us at 858-246-8959. To learn more, visit: https://www.dol.gov/ofccp/regs/compliance/posters/pdf/eeopost.pdf