The New York Stem Cell Foundation (NYSCF) Research Institute is a rapidly growing and highly successful nonprofit whose mission is to accelerate cures through stem cell research.
NYSCF is seeking an Associate Staff Scientist to join the stem cell differentiation and functional genomics team within the NYSCF Global Stem Cell Array®. This position reports directly to a Senior Staff Scientist and works closely with members of the wider team including stem cell biologists, automation engineers, software developers, project management, and operations.
We are seeking a highly self-motivated applicant with a strong interest in functionalizing disease genomics through the use of human stem cell derived models. The person will have a strong background in human pluripotent stem cell culture, ideally with experience in directed differentiation. Specific experience with differentiation toward liver specific lineages, including but not limited to liver organoids, hepatocytes, stellate cells and liver-sinusoidalendothelial cells is highly desired.
This is a full-time position based on a 35-hour workweek, however, some weekend work may be required.
What you'll do:
- Scrutinize, develop, optimize and deploy liver-lineage specific differentiation protocols for liver organoids, hepatocytes, stellate cells and liver-sinusoidalendothelial cells
- Functionalize genomic leads by developing and executing morphological, transcriptomic and functional assays to characterize hepato-cellular phenotypes
- Work collaboratively with NYSCF biologists, automation engineers and project management
- Manage and mentor junior motivated scientists
- Execute, troubleshoot and communicate tasks independently and effectively
- Maintain extremely organized and accurate records using an ELN/LIMS
- Provide regular feedback at inter-team meetings
- Provide routine scientific reports to project management and outside collaborative parties
What we're looking for:
- MS with 5+ years of experience or recent PhD (0-2 years post graduation) focused in the stem cell biology field, hiPSC/hESCs cell culture essential
- Experience with directed differentiation towards liver-specific lineages is highly desired
- Experience with assay development and execution, screening, imaging techniques, gene modification technologies are a plus
- Demonstrated ability to work both independently and within a multidisciplinary team
- Excellent written, verbal and interpersonal communication skills
- A high proficiency in both Mac and/or PC computer environments
- Experience with Spotfire/GraphPad is a plus
- Organized and able to prioritize and execute tasks
- Able to analyze and interpret data and report findings succinctly
- Adaptability to work in a fast-paced and changing environment requiring occasional weekend work
NYSCF is an equal opportunity employer and we value diversity at our company. It ensures equal employment opportunity without discrimination or harassment based on race, color, religion, sex (including pregnancy, childbirth, or related medical conditions), sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, age, disability, national origin, marital or domestic/civil partnership status, genetic information, citizenship status, veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law.