The New York Stem Cell Foundation (NYSCF) Research Institute is a rapidly growing and highly successful nonprofit whose mission is to accelerate cures through stem cell research.
NYSCF is seeking an Associate Software Engineer to join our multi-disciplinary team in the support and development of (LIMS) software used within the NYSCF Global Stem Cell Array TM , a robotic system that automates both iPSC derivation and downstream differentiations and assays. The Associate Software Engineer will be responsible for developing desktop and web applications to support our scientists and project managers across areas such as data storage/access, data analysis and project tracking. This position will report to the Sr. Staff Software Engineer, and will work both independently and as a team on a wide range of exciting projects. The role will involve collaboration with fellow members of the Array team, which consists of software engineers, biologists, robotics engineers, data scientists and project managers.
What you'll do:
- Improve the software ecosystem that comprises NYSCF's central Laboratory Information Management System (LIMS) and AppSuite
- Develop full stack web applications to empower end users with the ability to search, record, manipulate and analyze laboratory data
- Develop desktop tools and applications to streamline data pipelines for novel data types and experiments
- Build data reporting/visualization tools for NYSCF's administration teams
- Learn the ins and outs of a state-of-the-art stem cell research laboratory, interface directly with scientists to understand their needs and transform concept into code
- Adapt to the fast-paced, evolving nature of NYSCF's Research Institute, rise to meet the demands of increasingly complex technical projects
- Collaborate with stem cell biologists to develop ad hoc software/hardware solutions, integrating with 3rd party lab instruments, Arduino, Raspberry Pi, etc.
- Apply best practices in a feedback-centric, agile software engineering team to ultimately produce clean and highly optimized code
What we're looking for:
- BSc in Computer Science, Engineering, Math or a related field
- Demonstrated proficiency in .NET languages such as C# or Visual Basic
- Experience with SQL and database design/management
- Excellent communication skills, able to convey highly complex concepts in both technical and non-technical terms
- Self-starting and quick-learning, able to operate both independently and collaboratively
- Enthusiasm in their work, stem cell research and all things technological
- 1 year of professional software development experience
- Experience with AWS or other cloud computing platforms is a plus
- Experience working in a laboratory environment is a plus
- Experience working with or for a nonprofit is a plus
NYSCF is an equal opportunity employer and we value diversity at our company. It ensures equal employment opportunity without discrimination or harassment based on race, color, religion, sex (including pregnancy, childbirth, or related medical conditions), sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, age, disability, national origin, marital or domestic/civil partnership status, genetic information, citizenship status, veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law.